starting the car problems

azzy

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 620ti
hi i have a rover 620ti all standerd 1995 just bought few weeks ago, drives good but last night i started the car up didnt start it stutters then goes off . i thought might be petrol so i put a gallon and started again 5 mins warn up and was ok, in morning doing same when i turn key can it be petrol in reserve. or others help plz

ok my car starts and stutters and shakes on idle then drops rev under 1000rpm and cuts out. i have to hold the rev abt 4000rpm till its warmed up then its ok for few hours, it didnt start today same probs

get a compression test done when its cold. sounds stupid but my lude was doing something similar before i took it off the road. my mechanic thought that the head gasket may have been cracked asit was fine when warm- metal expanding and sealing the small hole

You could try a plugs and leads change. But also check what condition the inside of the throttle body is. If thats dirty then that could cause the problem too.

First of all try this.
turbonutter69-albums-my-cars-picture2276-24122008015.jpg

The big pipe that goes over the airfilter is the one you need to remove. Then have a look inside the Throttle body.
It should look like this in the top right hand of the pic.
turbonutter69-albums-my-cars-picture2864-05012009024.jpg

If it's dirty it will cause the problem you describe.

thanks for pic ill try that but i dont have k n air filter only rover standed one. wat do i clean it with if dirty

All the holds the pipework on is a Jubilee clip. You can do the spark plugs at the same time but remember to do just one at a time so you don't get the leads mixed up.

hi i had same probs starting up, but i did same thing wat u said clean my sparks and the trottle body, and it fired up no probs. so wat does that mean, will i need new sets of spark plug leads ? its a bit lumpy on idle 1000rpm, and when driving,

It may be worth a shot. Try ebay for them you may get them cheaper on there. Just change the plugs for now as the leads usually last ages and ages. Unless they look in really poor condition and or have split.

yes my leads are a bit holes on em and crap thought that might be the probs, also cant find them on ebay

yes i placed my leads and sparks same problems, starts up then switches off when it idles. am getting this man sunday with lap top pluging to check it. can it be ecu

bought it two weeks ago and now your having problems. ive had this with a suzuki i had before is it really sluggish to drive since you first bought it?? i had a warped head so the bloke i bought it off bodged it with a new head gasket and heavy oil to make engine sound quiet but what im getting at is if he knows hes had problems he could have changed the head gasket so when you saw it fine and dandy when the head gasket settles after being run in his problem might have recoocured with you it would explain the cut out when cold like turbo nutter says because when the engine warms up it expands but would be loosing great deal of compresion again as turbo nutter says just maybe something to look at might have been a quick fix to sell the car and the service in dec 09 would have made the car run better so you buy!???? what do u think turbo nutter?

yeah was just chuckin ideas out there. you right though would be making horrible noises if it was air leaking from cylinders would have got wore n worse so maybe a lambda sensor? or something along them lines to do with the automatic choke on the car a sensors failed somewhere? could never really tell unless you infront of the car when your fault finding like this such a time consuming job good luck azzy

my clio hates mornings, especially in the cold, when i turn it on the rev counter sits at about 1100rpm, i leave it for about 1 minute before i move and it goes down to about 600rpm, if i turn it on and drive away straight away the engine will cut out, i think its to do with the choke, but i suppose its one of them things init because they say when turning on the engine, you have to wait a while for the oil to lubricate the gear box an all that. hope this has helped a bit lol

hi people i have found the problem out and solved it, but i need a cheap idle valve control, and lamba sensoirs gone, so thanks to one in a million, pg, turbo nutter, can anyone give me a link to buy stuff cheap i tryed myself

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back