Starting from Scratch

Byrne

Car
Skoda Octavia VRS
Hey,
I have a stock Skoda Octavia VRS can anyone suggest the bests steps and the best order to take the steps in to improve the car? It is my everyday drive so I don't want to go mad.

Hey,
I have a stock Skoda Octavia VRS can anyone suggest the bests steps and the best order to take the steps in to improve the car? It is my everyday drive so I don't want to go mad.

Hi mate,

Improve in what way? Power? Handling? Comfort?

If you don't want to go too mad I'd suggest a panel filter (if diesel?) if not an induction kit (more suited to petrol engines though).

Moving on probably a millitek exhaust which should set you back anything between £500 to £750 so not bursting the buget totally.

Chuck in a remap after the first two and you should be good for a nice power hike and not too much of a hit in the mpg as well.

If you want to set the look off as well maybe uprate your brakes as well with a set of EBC disks which won't cost you on the insurance for grooved and drilled disc's. Keep the same calipers and just give them a coat of paint and it should look good behind the alloys to set it off.

All round not a bad way to spend just over £1k on your car!

Hello.

Induction and exhaust mods and then a remap. Or just a remap if you dont want to spend too much.

What he suggested, its the preferred route for most, easy basic mods then look at braking and handling. It really depends on budget and how far you want to take it.

hey and welcome to the site

if its a Mk1 petrol

remap - will take it up to around 210
new diverter valve - the OEM is prone to splitting even on the standard map
rear anti roll bar
decent brake pads - or look at upgrading the callipers

exhaust flows pretty well apart from the cat
intake also flows pretty well, but a slight benefit can be had from smoothing the airbox and fitting a panel filter. im sure the octavia has the exact same intake as mine so the parts from the R32 dsg golf will fit allowin more air.

only issue with the intake is under heavy boost that the intake pipe to the turbo collapses under the vac generated

only issue with the intake is under heavy boost that the intake pipe to the turbo collapses under the vac generated

I was having a similar problem on the beast, so I had a polished metal pipe made up which now uses a very small silicon coupler as a joint, no problems at all now! ;)

ive had a couple of issues with boost surging and thought i had it sussed when i changed the spring in the diverter valve.

coilpack decided to give up on me the other day, swapped it out (what a hassle getting one) and the cars pulling alot better, but the surging is back. have a forge silicone hose that i got for nothing to fit but waiting on a few other parts then going to fit them all in a oner - still have the dogbone bushes to fit that herb sent me ages ago

Hello,
First thank you everyone so far for your advise.
I didn't give you the whole picture when I said the car was stock. I missed out one important detail, the car has an LPG conversion (I do a lot of motorway driving so please forgive me)
After reading some of your posts I thought the first step would be a re-map. When it is running on petrol it is damn good, real happy. However on LPG under medium hard and hard throttle the engine feels like it is miss firing and causes the car to lurch. Also the engine light comes on if you don't back off the throttle but after a few seconds it goes off on its own.
I think I may be a fuel delivery problem. I have had all the coils replaced as the engine code reported a miss fire on 2 AND 4 cylinders and I was told this is a common fault for mark 1 1.8 20V engines. So this leaves me with air or fuel.
Can anyone offer me some advise as I do not want to have to remove the re-map as it rocks but having to change to petrol every time I want to have a burn is a pain in the arse.

the coils are a pain but they dont stop the fueling or mines didnt. car stunk of petrol by the time id limped it home.

sounds like the maps not set up right. do you have a code when the EM light starts flashing ?

I think the map is fine as it runs very well on petrol it is only the gas that is giving me a problem. I think my next step is to have the gas part of the car serviced and speak to these guys about the issue. My normal garage is good and they are a VW audi specalist but they are not great with gas. I will do this at the start of the July and let you know what I find out.

I think you really need a swichable remap one for each fuel type. LPG is not as "explosive" as petrol so a perfect petrol map would just cause the LPG to run a bit lean and this causes flat spots.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back