starter motor, timing belt or just old n cold?

plymouthpolo

Car
vw polo 1.6 saloon
hi i have had some real problems with startng my polo, battery is holding a charge of 12.5 V, all wiring seems sound when checked amperage, sorted headunit so switches off on ignition, but car will just about turn over. i realise that cold weather doent help, and if it has been run that day will start fine for the rest. any ideas what i can check / what it is?? cheers n thankyou ppl:confused:

How old is the battery? If your happy with the condition & the engine is struggling to turn over then I would look at the starter motor next.

If the engine spins but nothing happens then look at changing the coil pack(s) as they maybe damp when you first start the car & dry out when it gets warmed up.

Last edited:
pass i bought the car a few months ago, and now know y they sold it lol!! it isn't a brand new battery by far but as it is holding charge not too worried.. a £15 multimeter seems to be better than a £40 battery so far.

i dont depresss the clutch but will try in a mo, when i turn the ignition it is exactly as if battery is dead, apart from electronic odo trip/clock will reset

cheers

it could be a dead cell in the battery. it will be holding charge as 12v but wont be able to provide enough current

does it start with a jump ?

rule out timing belt - youd soon know if that was away

What happens after you have driven the car for about 20 min then turn the engine off then back on again. Does it start first time no problem, or does it struggle?

The ault is working, cos there is a charge in the battery each time (although not much) My guess is the battery. You should get one with a 3 year warrentee quite cheep for your motor, dont use halfords or anything like that, find a parts deeler/distributor and ask them. Should get one for under 30.

hi mr bumpkin i live North road west.
bigbadjoe, she;ll start fine so assume is a battery,, place in devonport does them for £40... now know what my christmas present is to myself as did back in bumping it this morning,, i hate road cambers!!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back