start up idle speed

celtic67

Car
05 civic type r
i have an 05 civic type r,recently bought it.its got fast idle speed,up to 2000 rpm til its driven for while.any suggestions as to the cause and possible cures would be appreciated

20 years back I'd have said turn the cold idle screw down but it's all ecu and sensors these days. Perhaps one of the sensors is misreading air mass or fuel mix or something? You'd need to get it hooked up to some code reading kit.

i have an 05 civic type r,recently bought it.its got fast idle speed,up to 2000 rpm til its driven for while.any suggestions as to the cause and possible cures would be appreciated
What does it idle at when the engine is up to temperature? Iirc my mates type r idled from cold at about 1500 but when up to temperature it would idle around the 850 mark

thanks for the replies lads.feeling silly now i bumped into my mate who has an 03 type r and he says his is the same.phew.only got it friday.i needed a car and my mate got his 2weeks ago and i had to have 1.and im not disappointed.it idles around 850 once its warmed up

i may have got it wrong quoting 2000rpm it seems 1500 is about right.typical me buying a car before learning anything about it.and im slow replying to posts cos the pc is at my sisters.so a week on with the car and its pretty good,better if i remember to fill it with 97 ron. just got a can of bk 44 k to add to my next tankfull as well.2tyres went on the back monday but the guy put 1 on back to front,marangoni mythos(i know theyre not the best but i needed a quick fix),the white line in the groove is in the same place on both when it should be like a mirror image,they do go either way round

it does want to go go go.bit of care required turning out of work going into second cos the revs are still up.got some unexpected wheelspin in the rain 2 days running

Good luck with the project buddy, keep us posted with as many updates as possible! Only another 5 posts to go and you will be able to start posting up some pictures ;)