Stage 1 2.5L Duratec?

93or97

Car
'14 Transit Connect
Howdy folks.

My next car is a 2014-15 Ford Transit Connect wagon with Ford/Mazda 2.5L Duratec 2.5L I-4 and automatic trans. What do you folks recommend for Stage 1 mods? Exhaust louder than stock is fail.

I prefer a taller and/or wider torque curve over a few more peak HP. That said, both a little more peak HP and taller/wider torque curve is ideal.

Thanks for your help!
Jimbo

A remap is the obvious first mod, it will probably give more power per $ than any other mod you can do and take you up 10% to 15%. Add on a supercharger and cam for silly extra power gains but then you start talking silly extra money especially for forced induction. A cam is a good option though, it'll give you a better top end.

None of these will help your fuel economy though, but I doubt that worries you much.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Yes, you are correct Re. fuel consumption!

For this particular engine, if you have a short list of the best remap options, please share same. What is the estimated effect on the torque curve? "10%" peak power boost is good as long as the torque curve is at least as tall and wide as stock. IMO +10% peak power + 10% shorter/narrower torque curve is fail.

Cold air intake is not necessarily cost effective on this engine?

I shall not spend the funds required for forced induction. But if I did, I'd probably search and wait for a good used OEM 1.6L Turbo, which Ford (stupidly) offered only in Transit Connect short wheelbase from 2014 through approximately 2016. Whoever dreamed up and confirmed that idea should be whipped with a whet noodle! Duh! Hello! Longer wheelbase = heavier load = more torque/power needed, not less!

If I'm gonna dream though, I'll order up a smooth, refined I-4 diesel turbo (340lb-ft/250hp) > 9-speed AT > AWD. IOW a drivetrain that, with traction control defeated, burns long AWD rubber stripes while sucking high end SUVs and super trucks off the road.

A remap on this is unlikely to shorten the power band, in fact you might be able to raise the redline a little which should give it longer legs.

As I'm based in the UK I'm unable to recommend anyone out there. Isn't Kindigit Autos in your neck of the woods? Do they offer a mapping service or can they recommend someone?

Hi Wayne,
Longer legs good, yes! Me likey.

I shall investigate your kind suggestion and report back to class ASAP.

Just out of curiosity: for this particular engine, what's the approximate allotted professional time to R&R both cams with aftermarket variety? I presume access in Transit Connect is no worse than other vehicles with the 2.5L Duratec.

Again, for this engine: are cams available that increase both torque and peak power (with the aforementioned remap)?

Jimbo

You need a mild fast road cam for better power through the rev range, a competition cam will be all at the top end.

IMHO, first up I would get myself a decent set of headers, sport cat, (or decat if allowed) dump the gas into a nicely bent up system, don't be tempted to go super size, it's not efficient stay around 2.5 to 2.75 diameter, if it was a V8 huffing shed loads I'd say 3 inches plus, but not for this. Keep it tight. Getting fast road cams would be great but If the engine can't breath properly they are wasted OK. A remap is essential as previously stated, and get a quality high flow air filter. At this point don't waste money on an induction kit, not really required.

Once you have this running sweet you'll be surprised. And if you want to go forced induction, forget the turbo, look towards a supercharger, for one, when the bonnets open, it looks hot and sexy, but as you are running a mini truck the low down grunt will be phenomenal, you will get near full boost from idle, and that coupled to a tricked up auto trans will give some serious torque, which is what you asked for. A step further would be twin charging to provide some serious top end power but it is quite complex and requires very very deep pockets and lots of serious work.

Forced induction with high boost pressures requires lowering your compression ratio, and additional hardware, at this stage you might as well throw caution to the wind and fit forged pistons, and this opens the flood grates for heavy duty rods, rebalancing, gas flowing heads, and so it goes, because once you start, at no point is there a cut off until the whole motor is spot on, or there is no point.

Keep it easy, keep it within reach and enjoy. Unless you have thousands of disposable income.... Mmm those were the days.... 9 second quarter miles.... Enjoy.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back