ST or VXR??

Usergu1de

Car
Burned out astra
hi, i have a bit of a dilemma... 2 weeks ago some scumbags tried to steal my car... failed... the set it alight outside of my work (i got them on cctv lol) and burned it to a crisp... poor car!!

so now i cant make my mind up... i been approved for finance for an ST or a VXR from their respective dealerships... i need some hlep!!!

what would you go with?

EP3 Civic isn't really in the same league as an ST as far as the overall package is concerned. Quicker in the bends, yes, but that's about it. For that you sacrifice comfort, true pace, tuneability, better looks (imo) and better equipment.

ST would be my choice any day.

VXR is quicker as standard but doesnt have ford's clever front suspension that isolates steering from power and so suffers more from torque steer.

ST at 225 apparantly feels a little underpowered but 400-500 quid will get you up to 260 bhp which is a lot nicer. Check out dreamscience and mountune.

Out of those 2, altho I do like Vx, I'd got for an ST but get it remapped immediately.

EP3 Civic isn't really in the same league as an ST as far as the overall package is concerned. Quicker in the bends, yes, but that's about it. For that you sacrifice comfort, true pace, tuneability, better looks (imo) and better equipment.

ST would be my choice any day.

lmao !!!!!!!!!
what have you done with the real MA !!!!!!!

sep_moto_195_.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

For me it would HAVE TO BE the VXR.Yes,I know I have a biased view,but The ASTRA is far superior in every department.For a few hundred quid you can have a beast that's 300bhp,and out handles any FORD ST.:p

having had a play with a standard vxr in my car. i'll be honest it didnt impress me!!!
i know a remapped 1 would be a different story! but the standard 1 i played with no matter how hard he tried i easily kept up with him (and i class my car as nippy not quick/fast;))

i cant really comment on the st cause ive never driven or had a play with 1:sad2:

tbh i'd rather go for a evo myself

Also look at the depreciation figures and running costs (tyres, service fuel etc.) as all these can add up to the "cost" of ownership.

Been a short while since posting once again lol. But my 2 cents worth would be dont bother with either. The VXR doesn't handle the 280bhp it has very well at all and personally wouldn't bother with a Ford but thats just me.

Instead go for the Insignia VXR instead. They have the same engine but they are 321bhp standard and they have 4 wheel drive so handle very well and look the dogs danglies lol, and does 0-60 in under 6 seconds which isn't bad at all for the size of car.

The suspension on these is as good as the Focus RS swell let alone the silly ST220. I love the VXR button this has aswell as a sports button.

Heres a couple of lovely examples:-

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2441320.htm

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2435710.htm

And the ultimate rare one, here Top Gear saying a Vauxhall isn't bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAKKQNjcuM

Last edited:
Ah well, same difference lol. Too much power for the car. If they did a 4x4 version of the Astra VXR-R then that would be a monster. But then realising that hes looking at the hatches and not the saloons, then I would suggest the Focus RS not the ST but depends on how much money. But if it has to be the ST then I would suggest the VXR any day, but if money allows go for the RS.

the Insignia has a turbo'd V6 with well over 300bhp while the Astra VXR has a boosted four pot with 260bhp neither do their job very well and both are a bit fat and lazy (like some nationalities ribbed by some self opinionated journalist on a recent episode of a well known pokey motoring show) :lol:

I'd go with the Ford anyday, better build quality, looks and drivability

anyone seen the new version of the ST, Imho they've ruined it, get one now while they still look hot

Last edited:
I'd prefer the Ford but I'd sooner have a Megane R26.

Keep a shovel and bin liner in the boot then so you can go and pick up from the road all the bits that fall off whilst you're driving about in it.

As a classic and large hatch I'd like a Citroen CX Turbo 2, But I'd have to hand it to Ford, or perhaps BMW, along with a cheque for about £10k, to have it taken to bits and re-assembled properly.

Keep a shovel and bin liner in the boot then so you can go and pick up from the road all the bits that fall off whilst you're driving about in it.

As a classic and large hatch I'd like a Citroen CX Turbo 2, But I'd have to hand it to Ford, or perhaps BMW, along with a cheque for about £10k, to have it taken to bits and re-assembled properly.

Nah....
They are good cars mate, it was EVO mags favourite hot hatch for a long time, they rate the ST and VXR at 4 out of 5 stars.
I mean now they did have the MK2 RS Focus as there favourite until the Clio RS200 came out (not to be confused with the RS197) which they rate higher.

I doubt that a car that would need scraping up after you used every time would make it into the hearts of the motoring press....

they rate the ST and VXR at 4 out of 5 stars.

Evo loved the Vectra VXR (and the Vectra B GSI before it):

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/car...hi_evo_v_impreza_v_vectra_vxr_v_bmw_330i.html

I've posted this link before.

When it comes to reviews, do you trust Clarkson or Evo? I'm not sure I'd trust the opinion of a man who had a car's systems dangerously hacked to try and make it look bad. Odd, Top Gear don't hack into an Evo 10's electronic pitch and yaw control systems do they? Bunch of tossers frankly.

Here's evo's review of Astra VXR and Focus ST (and S3 and Golf GTI):

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/234153/hot_hatch_group_test.html

I'm not sure i understand, are you saying that's what Top Gear have done, hacked into an EvoX's onboard systems to intentionally make it perform badly?

I'm not sure i understand, are you saying that's what Top Gear have done, hacked into an EvoX's onboard systems to intentionally make it perform badly?

No, the opposite. They hacked into the Vectra VXR's electronic stability/traction control/suspension levelling systems to disable them all. This also pulled the ABS too. Then they drove as fast as they could down the straight, wrenched the steering to full lock and said "ooh look, it understeers." So my point was if they're going to do this to one, they should do it to all. A lot of cars now have such systems.

To my knowledge they have never intentionally disabled ANY other car they were putting round their track.

I could have got that Vectra round the track faster.

Ah, i'm on the same page now lol :lol:

I remember the test they did for the Vectra and how ridicuulous it looked going round the track, but at the time i thought nothing of it, they usually disable all the driver aids so the ham fisted Clarkson can get his arse out but doing it just to make a car look bad on camera is just childish, TG have always shown a biased view against Vauxhall for no real reason at all, they make good cars and have got better and better over the last few years

but I'd still take the Focus over the Astra, if it was just down to looks alone.

Clarkson doesn't write for EVO mag and I don't rate Clarkson but i do value what evo mag have to say, they do say that the Vectra VXR is good, and they do like the Astra and ST but not as much as the megane.

No, the opposite. They hacked into the Vectra VXR's electronic stability/traction control/suspension levelling systems to disable them all. This also pulled the ABS too. Then they drove as fast as they could down the straight, wrenched the steering to full lock and said "ooh look, it understeers." So my point was if they're going to do this to one, they should do it to all. A lot of cars now have such systems.

To my knowledge they have never intentionally disabled ANY other car they were putting round their track.

I could have got that Vectra round the track faster.

I think it was to prove a point, without electronic aids it is essentially a crap chassis. Can you switch of the stability control and traction control on a Mk1 Focus RS? No because it hasn't got them. And I'd get rid of ABS too if I had my way. It's a great great chassis without electronic aids. I'm not purposly harping on about the RS btw, it's just the first car that came to mind that doesn't drive itself.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back