Squeaky Steering Wheel

rallykarl

Car
SAAB 9 3
Hello All,

I have a squeak from my steering wheel when i turn the wheel slowly. It sounds like the wheel is rubbing.

I want to squirt some silicon down the column to try and lubricate the thing thats rubbing, but I cant get access to it. Should I try and take off the steering wheel cover? is there a better way of doing it?

Cheers

Karl

I would not squirt?? anything of any description down the steering column housing! take it off and have a good look around, does the squeaking remain now that the housing is off? Also is your steering column adjustable? check the lever is tight first, good luck ;)

Ahh, one more thing! be very careful about fiddling with the actually steering wheel " the top middle section" as you don't want to inadvertly damage anything to do with the airbag system.

Okay, first question, what year 9-3?

First suggestion, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE TOUCHING THE STEERING WHEEL COLUMN!!!! If you fail to do so, airbag could deploy, and you will most certainly get an SRS light on your dash.

Second suggestion, perhaps start by checking your telescope of your steering wheel, there is a good chance if you descope, or scope, it will eliminate the "rubbing" sound.

Third suggestion, I would not squirt anything into the steering column. I know for a fact the ignition cylinder on Saabs from 1994-2002 used a dry lubricant, if you add a liquid lubricant, say, WD40, it will eventually seize up. There is a good chance the steering column could be like this as well. I am just suggesting what I would not do, you can go ahead and prove me wrong if you would like.

Good luck, let me know how you make out.