Spoilers and wings on hatchbacks

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on roof mounted spoilers fitted to hatchbacks?

I can see why you would want a spoiler or wing or a saloon and it improves the look of the car.

BUT I'm struggling to see why or how a spoiler or wing improves the looks of a hatchback? From the front or rear it just looks like a roof rack.

Am I missing something here? Do you agree with me? Are there any hatchback cars where a spoiler or wing on the roof is expected or would look wrong if it wasn't there?

Last edited:
I think a small one looks good. Examples being a Honda Civic EK9, Ford Fiesta ST, Pug 106 GTi. But the massive lairy ones are awful. Not to mention they dont' really do anything to help the car's performance.

Just get a look: Subaru Impreza 2010:
7595283.jpg

Just get a look: Subaru Impreza 2010:
7595283.jpg

Maybe it's there to either keep the sun off the nodding dog or the rain and dirt from the rear screen. Can't really see any other reason.

However, Subaru will no doubt tell you that it increases downforce.

Or you Could make your own custom wing ive seen hatchbacks and if you design it right and tilt it slightly it will look cool and will give you good downforce.

Or you Could make your own custom wing ive seen hatchbacks and if you design it right and tilt it slightly it will look cool and will give you good downforce.

Sorry, but there is no chance of getting good downforce from a wing mounted on the roof of a hatchback. Plenty of drag but little, if any, downforce.

In order for a wing to be effective it has to be in clean, smooth flowing, air and you won't find much of that at the rear end of a hatchback.