Spoiler modification

Eagleeyes

Car
Vw Golf 1.6
Hi guys, a friend of mine recently got a spoiler that looks pretty much like this (http://www.stxstyling.co.uk/StxStyling/Cars/ZZ_ALL/003968.jpg). But the thing is he wants the height of it lowering, he took it to a modification garage but they refused to do it because they said they couldnt guarantee it wouldnt drop off after a year.

So my question is, is there a way of reducing the height and it being durable? Would it not be strong enough if you cut it and used fibreglass to re-structure it and attach it on again? Or is there another method?

thanks

I'm not surprised the company refused to do it. Any modification to the wing supports is asking for trouble for the person doing it if it fails.

Your friend will probably have to do it himself. If he knows how to use fibreglass it isn't a difficult task, He will have to remove the fixing plates from the bottom of the uprights, trim the uprights to the desired length and then re-attach the plates.

The only pressures on the uprights will be from the weight of the 'wing' and the drag caued by the air hitting it. There will be very little downforce to worry about.

I'm not surprised the company refused to do it. Any modification to the wing supports is asking for trouble for the person doing it if it fails.

Your friend will probably have to do it himself. If he knows how to use fibreglass it isn't a difficult task, He will have to remove the fixing plates from the bottom of the uprights, trim the uprights to the desired length and then re-attach the plates.

The only pressures on the uprights will be from the weight of the 'wing' and the drag caued by the air hitting it. There will be very little downforce to worry about.

Downforce will present a couple of ounces of force, that's all. And that'll only be there if you insist upon driving at 120-150mph. Not likely to happen in a Golf, is it?

Why bother with such adornment as this? It will do nothing at all to the car's driving feel or response.

thanks for the replies guys. I think the reason he wants to do it is purely for style, as he thinks it sticks out too much from the car.

Is fibreglass the best way to go with most bodywork modification then? and is filler the best option for getting a smooth finish on flexible parts like bumpers or is it prone to cracking?

thanks

thanks for the replies guys. I think the reason he wants to do it is purely for style, as he thinks it sticks out too much from the car.

Is fibreglass the best way to go with most bodywork modification then? and is filler the best option for getting a smooth finish on flexible parts like bumpers or is it prone to cracking?

thanks

There is good style and bad style, which one is your friend trying for? If he is looking for good styling I suggest he mounts it inslde the boot :)

For fibreglass repair work I use Isopon P40 (or similar) This has chopped fibreglass strands in the paste so forms a much stronger bond and sands down just like normal filler.

As you may have guessed from the above I don't do style over content, but each to his own. As long as he doesn't expect the wing (technically, that is what it is even if it doesn't actually work) to aid performance, I am sure he will be happy with what he finally decides to do.

Last edited: