Split Bonnet Install

Hello =)

Anyone on here have a split bonnet? or know someone who has or what shops do it. Just about anywhere in mainland UK is game. I want this mod, either DIY or by a shop, but I'm confident with some install photos/tips I can do it myself.:D

Hello =)

Anyone on here have a split bonnet? or know someone who has or what shops do it. Just about anywhere in mainland UK is game. I want this mod, either DIY or by a shop, but I'm confident with some install photos/tips I can do it myself.:D

All you really have to think about is the mounting hinges for each side and a locking latch for them both in the middle. You could use t2 standard bonnet latches side by side or something. It would prob require loads of fabrication though.

Try Unseen Projects in Ramsgate, they did a split bonnet on a punto with a remote sprung loaded opener.

It is a 2 part job really, first the cut and reinforce the bonnet and then the installation. You will usually need to add another 2 hinges and create a underlap where they meet so they sit at the right height.

Did you read through this article http://www.torquecars.com/styling/split-bonnets.php ?

Turbo, Wayne:
Thanks, Wayne yesy I've read the article, but it's more geared toward a general overview of "someone did it". I'm more looking for the mechanics of *how* they did it - like is it more important to roll the edges of the cut metal & if so, does the paint have to be heated to prevent cracking, or sand, smooth & touch up?

Or how to mount the hings on a curved/rounded hood line like I have. I imagine I should start but cutting/reinforcing as stated, then placing the hinges in place with some high srength slow set expoy, then open once dry (carefully) & weld for a more permanent bond?

Here is the car I'm emmulating with the split bonnet. I want virtually the identicle split, but I'm not keen on the aftermarket hood. I like the factory hood plenty.

go to a car meet some where and look around for a car with a split bonnet and ask the owner about how or where he got it. and the owner may be able to help you, just a thought