Speeding penalties - too harsh

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think the current speeding penalty system in your country is too harsh? What would you suggest as a replacement/alternative.

We get 3-6 points on our licence (for 3 years) and a fine from £60 upwards depending on how fast/dangerous you are. If you collect 12 points you get a ban.

Theoretically on one stretch of road with 4 cameras you could end up with a driving ban for just being a bit over the limit!

Do other countries have similar systems to this?

I would say to drop the points for minor speeding offences and just put a bigger fine on instead, or give the options of a big fine and no points.

really depends on the nature of the offence
going passed a school doing 40 at half 3 in the afternoon should be punished more than doing the same at half 3 in the morning

regards totaling up the points in a short time. a mate was clocked 4 times within 2 mins on the same road - still a boy racer at 25 - he ended up in court and got 6 points and a fine. think he now has 10 points on the license but4 are due to come off shortly

a fine for speeding on the motorway at night would be better rather than having points - providing the car is in good condition up to a point ie not flying down at 140 but lets say up to 90 then after that start with the fines

sorry but i dont understand why you have to speed.

if you dont want points or a fine don't drive over the speed limit, simple.

sorry but i dont understand why you have to speed.

if you dont want points or a fine don't drive over the speed limit, simple.

That's utterly reasonable.

BUT - a lot of drivers do a tragically bad job of driving even without exceeding the speed limit. Surely that should attract a penalty as well.

I think the big fine no points system is a non starter. It's a licence for the wealthy to drive as fast as they like.

Mr Clarke has also told backbench MPs that he can use parliamentary orders to answer criticism of the system of income- related fines introduced in the Criminal Justice Act 1992. Angela Knight, the Tory MP for Erewash, who welcomed the promise of action, quoted two cases in her area which underlined the anomalies this caused.

In one example, an unemployed youth was found guilty of drinking and driving after crashing a car without insurance. He was fined pounds 22 by the court because his income was minimal.

Another youth who was stopped while driving without insurance was fined pounds 600 because he was earning pounds 200 a week.

The system will be retained, but Mr Clarke is expected to tell MPs next week that he will not need primary legislation to change the rules to allow magistrates to impose higher fines on those with low incomes.
- frpm http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/clarke-to-act-on-bail-offenders-and-raise-fines-1474841.html

It looks like we did back in 1992 for a while!

I'm pretty sure this was scrapped after a similarly outrageous fine for a minor offence and rediculously small fine for a major incident.

I can't find much on this law or when it existed in the UK and I'm still looking.