Special licence for supercars?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I have long thought that there should be some sort of additional training or testing for anyone who wishes to buy a very high powered vehicle for the following reasons.

Quite often we see wealthy doting parents with children that have learned to drive in say a Toyota Carolla and then given a High performance car that in my opinion is quite often a recipe for disaster.

Older drivers who buy cars high performance cars just because that can or to massage their egos need to realize that being able to buy or lease one does not automatically endow one with the ability or level of skill to use all of the performance available without further instruction and hitting the gas at the wrong time often ends in tears.

I fear that politicians looking to hold their seats may upon reflection agree with me on this but sadly would not dare implement such a rule BUT their personal drivers have to have additional training to keep them safe.

The following video vividly demonstrates my point of view

Last edited:
This is how it works in the UK with motorbikes, you are limited to 50cc by age, then 125cc until you complete basic training and pass a test, the cc limit then increases with your experience and training, so only older drivers who've passed tests can ride the larger bikes.

I've long thought something similar should be done for cars, especially since 300bhp cars are now over 10 years old and within the grasp of young just passed the driving test drivers.

We have something similar over here as well as well as I think is a horsepower limit for newly licensed drivers as well BUT if the only car in the family is a hi HP one then the new driver is allowed to drive it.

It does make sense, I find it scary that a 17 year old can just jump into any high powered car and drive it.

I guess the insurance costs will put off many but there are always a few idiots around with more money than sense.

A young entrepreneur I know bought a brand new Porsche 911- he was on the waiting list for months. Anyhow within 2 weeks of delivery he'd spun out on a wet road into a roundabout and wrote the thing off! It got so bad for him that he was refused insurance cover on pretty much anything with wheels by most of the major insurers.

It does make sense, I find it scary that a 17 year old can just jump into any high powered car and drive it.

I guess the insurance costs will put off many but there are always a few idiots around with more money than sense.

A young entrepreneur I know bought a brand new Porsche 911- he was on the waiting list for months. Anyhow within 2 weeks of delivery he'd spun out on a wet road into a roundabout and wrote the thing off! It got so bad for him that he was refused insurance cover on pretty much anything with wheels by most of the major insurers.

Ego and the unwillingness to admit that one just may be a bad driver that needs more training leads to that exact result IMO.