Special editions and limited edition cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on limited edition and special edition cars?

They are IMO used to sell old stock. In some cases a limited edition makes the entire range look cooler that it otherwise would be. Mercedes Black, Carbon CCX etc...

It winds me up a little when you get charged extra for them taking things off the car and selling it as a weight reduced limited edition.

Should car makers make limited editions or just come up with new models more frequently. Would you pay a premium for a limited edition and what would it need to appeal to you?

For me a car with fancy seats and a paint job will not count as a limited edition but throw in some special tuning and I'm there.

My A4 was the Le Mans quattro which had an extra 25bhp and nice wheels! I even upgraded my A3 with the Le Mans alloys because we liked them so much!

The only limited editions I would be interested in are tuned ones (M, AMG, STI, Abarth, etc). Paint and trim is all a bit nice, but not what I'm into.

I like limited editions, it needs looks and power/performance upgrades. It's a way of buying a modified car that you can get standard insurance for.

I've owned a few, a Nova EXP with gold and black paint - it looked good and was one of my first cars.

My current A3 Sline is a Black edition with dark grill and I put some LeMans alloys from a newer black edition model.