Spacers

Wanda

Authorised Trader
Car
Renault Megane 2 cc
A question. If I buy a 20mm spacer does it mean I need longer wheel nuts or does it screw on to the spacer?

It depends on what kind of spacers you bought.
First, be sure they are hubcentric - it means they got raised edge around center hole. That is the spot where your wheel sit. In that manor the wheel does not hang on bolts.

Further, you can find spacers that can be bolted into hubs (is that correct name for part where you ussually bolt the wheel???) or you can find spacers that you need to bolt together with your wheels. In second case you MUST have longer bolts! That is important!
How much longer? That is easy to find out - if you put 20 mm spacers new bolts should be 20 mm longer then egsisting ones.

Hope that was helpfull for you.

A question. If I buy a 20mm spacer does it mean I need longer wheel nuts or does it screw on to the spacer?

Yes. Most spacer sets come with the extended bolts. The smallest spacer you can get away with a 3mm one.

Make sure you calculate the new offset as well.

by the time your getting to 20mm then they will generally come with other bolts to bolt onto the hub

Not in the shops I have seen them in. The sets they sell in my local shop only contain the spacers. This is because not all cars use the same thread. The bolt extensions are sold separately. These work OK and are safe, but I would prefer, if fitting spacers, to get longer bolts. Personally, I won't now use a spacer wider than 5mm, and only then to make fine adjustments.

I have made spacers from 15mm to 175mm, the ones I make are made to suit your car, be that metric or imperial threads, I always use studs, so in some cases if you were originally using bolts instead of nuts you will have to change, the problem you get is people using air guns and wrecking the threads in the spacer..... just make sure whatever type you get they are not cheap chinese cast ones, they have to be made from billet

I said to the guy to get the deepest dish he could, just so I would not have to make horrendously big spacers..... He came back with some original Ferrari wheels for that extra realistic look....... numpty!