Some people ask the darndest things.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Had the following email and I thought I'd pass it over to you guys to consider.

"Hello TorqueCars, I've got a Corsa 1.4 with sports seats fitted. My mate has an Evo FQ400. What mods can I do on my car so I stand a chance of keeping up with his Evo and possibly beating it on the track. I know it's going to cost a bit but if money was not an object can this actually be done?" - Jeremy Clarkson*

:eek: I did think of emailing back and suggesting he put a 1 kilo bag of sugar in his mates fuel tank then he'd own it in a race but this theoretical question has merits and we should perhaps offer some of our pearls of wisdom!

*The name was changed as Brian May didn't want anyone to know it was him asking ;)

I would think that an engine swap to a 2ltr turbo and a bit of laughing gas would give it a good chance on the quarter mile.

Right...

Evo 1540Kg 403bhp/387lb/ft = 261bhp/tonne and 251lb/ft per tonne

Corsa weighs in at 803bhp. So a transplant to up power to 250bhp/220lb/ft to allow for weight increase due to bigger motor, say 850kg =

294bhp/tonne and 259lbft per tonne.

Factor in a little bit of suspension tuning and the lighter car should be better round corners so will certainly give the porker a run for its money.

Job done, next :)

This reminds me of a video Loz posted a while ago of 2 cossie's and a talon 100r
The 2 cossie's pulled away on the straights but in the corners the talon pulled it back! The talon never took the cosworth but in price for fun the talon was the winner imo

Money no object .........then simplzzz

buy a caterham rs500 (with supercharger)

take body off

replace with corsa shell with mods as required to make it fit.

take on track

obliterate evo

I'd love to see a corsa drop a evo on the track, just wondering about the handling, something evo's are famous for, corsa's not so much. Just a thought. On the drag strip though, another story...

In the famous words of Cathrine Tate as ''Grandmar''

What a load of old ship!

I'm sorry, but no. Yeah, you can purpuse build something that could beat it in a strait line, but other than the body, there would be no corsa left.

Somone who askes questions like that need told. They need a reality check.

Give up. Dreams are for sleepy time. Reality is something different. Don't even considder the idiotic idea of wasting all that time and money for something that would be usless other than the single roll you build it for.

I have seen a 106 pump an evo. In a strait line. Twice. Untill the clutch shreaded its self. It would go upto 150mph in seconds. But whats the point??

150mph is seconds is the point. That is the whole point. That was probably what the guy wanted to do so he acheived his aim which is a lot more than most people manage.

Some people buy a fast car, others buy a slow one and make it fast. If there isn't much left of the original car, so what?

All I have left of the Elan I bought many years ago are the body (hopefully to be replaced with a CF one in the future), the steering column and chassis plate, so it isn't really the original Elan anymore (unless you are Trigger from OFAH), but it is my car and that is all that matters.

150mph is seconds is the point. That is the whole point. That was probably what the guy wanted to do so he acheived his aim which is a lot more than most people manage.

Ok, but that just proves that throwing money at something makes it work.

I could have quite easily put a stoker kit into mine. Increasing the size of the engine by .3L. Adding a larger rad, crank and more agressive cams. Larger intercooler. Bish bash bosh, I have a car that has 650bhp and will destroy supercars........for about 1000 miles untill something brakes.

Getting the correct ballance between preformance and reliability is key. Its all that matters to me when tuning something up. Increasing the hp and torque and preformance without decreasing the reliability.

Borrow a MIG welder and weld your mates discs to the brake calipers, job done and you won't even have to modify your own Corsa. Or fill his exhaust system with expanding foam, cheaper, more fun and could take ages to find if done with a long enough tube. Today is not a day for me to give sensible answers. :lol::lol: