some info please

prevtec

Pro Tuner
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
hi mates,

i live on a rd with honda heads and recently 2 of them have installed an led light thats small and fits into the rev and speed clock
when the car hits vtec, it comes on, this is very tastey i think, but i was thinking of getting it done to my car, the problem is, that im very cagey about my car

so if anyone knows about wiring, can you please tell me is this safe, or can it eventually interfair with the vtec???
the led is wired into the wires that control the vtec switch so please help

as i say, its a nice mod to have looking at it, but is it worth it??

thanks in advance, prevtec:D

Having never owned anything with vtec I have no idea on how this works, so am assuming there is some electronic control that uses relays or motors that will send a signal. All the LED does is tap into this signal and turns it into a visual one.

I have the same for my VIS valves on my KV6, I have one motor that powers the balance valve and one that powers the power valve. I have four LEDs that monitor the opening and closing of these valves so that I know if one or more is playing up.

The shiftlight taps into the signal circuit on the ecu and converts the rev pulse into a visual one.

This picture shows my shiftlight/rev counter and to the right are four off LEDs that monitor the vis valves, a common mod carried out by 180 owners.
04102008302.jpg

It sounds a bit like a shift light to me.
yeah, something like that but it only comes on when in vtec, goes back off when not, whereas a shift light comes on to tell you change gear
the problem is, ive never had a shift light or anything like it before so i dont know

the boys with them say it will do no damage what so ever, but then again what they are driving around in is a 100 cars in 1, they have no mass in cars so if it did go wrong they wouldn care, whereas i would

Having never owned anything with vtec I have no idea on how this works, so am assuming there is some electronic control that uses relays or motors that will send a signal. All the LED does is tap into this signal and turns it into a visual one.

I have the same for my VIS valves on my KV6, I have one motor that powers the balance valve and one that powers the power valve. I have four LEDs that monitor the opening and closing of these valves so that I know if one or more is playing up.

The shiftlight taps into the signal circuit on the ecu and converts the rev pulse into a visual one.
i think thats how its done, theres a switch thats for the vtec that sends a signal to open the high lift cam, so if they tap the led into that, when the time comes for the vtec, the led lights up

as an eng would you say this is ok??
or for just a light would you stay clear??

Does the VTEC not kick in at the same point in the rev range in each gear?
it does mate, 5200rpm, so it is a switch that controls that
look at any vtec engine and you'll see a green switch, lump, solanoid attached to the engine i dont know how to describe it, but thats what controls the vtec, so i prsume thats what its wired to

You could just tap into the switch circuit with one of those 12v accessory LEDs, check your wiring diagram for the live actuator wire and tap into this. If the vtec mechanism kicks in at a set position then it will be fine, you should have no issues doing this. Just a bit of work getting to the dashboard to install a little LED.

ive just watched how its done,

theres a wire going in to the vtec solonoid, you need to strip the case, leaving the wire exposed, then you wrap the led wire around it making the connection
so when vtec kicks in, theres power going to the led, sorted

is this safe stamford???

You could just tap into the switch circuit with one of those 12v accessory LEDs, check your wiring diagram for the live actuator wire and tap into this. If the vtec mechanism kicks in at a set position then it will be fine, you should have no issues doing this. Just a bit of work getting to the dashboard to install a little LED.
the dashboard is a bit of a job to dismantel, it runs the whole width of the car, but ive done it before to change clocks, so no problem there
thanks for the advice

ive just watched how its done,

theres a wire going in to the vtec solonoid, you need to strip the case, leaving the wire exposed, then you wrap the led wire around it making the connection
so when vtec kicks in, theres power going to the led, sorted

is this safe stamford???

hi mate i wouldnt just wrap the wire round i would solder it in place then insulate it with tape or heat shrink and as for it being safe the answers yes mate an led draws so little current it will not affect anything it will just notify you when the relay is switched (exactly the effect youre after )

hehe i know this is not the point but im sure the sharp kick in the bollocks would let you know the vtec has kicked in haha :D sounds nice though

hi mate i wouldnt just wrap the wire round i would solder it in place then insulate it with tape or heat shrink and as for it being safe the answers yes mate an led draws so little current it will not affect anything it will just notify you when the relay is switched (exactly the effect youre after )
thanks mate, i just wanted to know was it safe and from what you and stamford say, im going ahead with it

nice car by the way

hehe i know this is not the point but im sure the sharp kick in the bollocks would let you know the vtec has kicked in haha :D sounds nice though
ha ha, believe me i know when it kicks in, the engine rasp roars,
rather that than my bollicks:D

thanks mate, i just wanted to know was it safe and from what you and stamford say, im going ahead with it

nice car by the way
no problem mate i try and help where i can (suppose the 2 1/2 years i did in tv & video engineering comes in useful every now and then)

and thanks for the car compliment it actually means alot coming from a jap fan :bigsmile:

no problem mate i try and help where i can (suppose the 2 1/2 years i did in tv & video engineering comes in useful every now and then)

and thanks for the car compliment it actually means alot coming from a jap fan :bigsmile:
no problem
i find if your going to put thousands into doing your car up, it better be a jap, it will last forever if you look after them, so you wont be flushing money down the loo

no problem
i find if your going to put thousands into doing your car up, it better be a jap, it will last forever if you look after them, so you wont be flushing money down the loo
tbh mate thats a daft statement if you put money into modding any car and look after it it will last no matter what country of origin !!!!!!
and modding a car is in reality like flushing money down the loo cause you will never see that money back on the resale of it !!!!

tbh mate thats a daft statement if you put money into modding any car and look after it it will last no matter what country of origin !!!!!!
and modding a car is in reality like flushing money down the loo cause you will never see that money back on the resale of it !!!!

Thats the way I see it mate. Moddin is about being individual not making money from selling the car on...

i now have it installed and its tasty, 5200rpm and a red led light comes on
so it went sraight foward and the wiring is very tidy, youd say its ment to be part of the car,

job done, thanks for your help fellas, and for vtec heads, id recomend doing it, its classy
just let me know and il talk you through it