Solving loose fastener problems

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I have posted this some time ago but for the benefit of newcomers here it is once more. http://www.nord-lock.com/bolted/watch-the-new-junker-test-video-here/

I had a problem with the hard to get at turbo to manifold nuts that were torqued to the correct strength but the heat cycling made them loosen so I removed the manifold studs and replaced them with hi tensile Allen head cap screws and NORD LOCK washers and have had no problems since.

The cap screws have made access to tighten the fasteners in any restricted space so much easier with the long Allen key in a socket tool.

Another plus with this is that should the gasket fail I don't have to remove the turbo to replace the gasket as can simply slide out the old and in with the new|B

Interesting and impressive. However, I would like to see the test done on other locking washers, such as Belleville or Schnorr.

Over here, an M10 Nord-Lock is around 1GBP.

Interesting and impressive. However, I would like to see the test done on other locking washers, such as Belleville or Schnorr.

Over here, an M10 Nord-Lock is around 1GBP.

The Schnorr is similar to the Nord lock but seems to be a 1 piece washer unlike the 2 part Nord that has built in interlocking serrations that need more than the original clamp pressure to be able to undo it/work/vibrate loose .

The Belleville would be unable to cope with turbo heat IMO.