so whats next?

creature

Torque Junkie
Car
mg zs 1.8
Ive got the cams, induction, ecu, throttle body, suspension, brakes. I want more power, but im confused the internet seems devoid of tips on upgradeing mg zs 120.

Can anyone reccomend something i may have overlooked?

I have been considering individual throttle bodies would they make any difference?

Do you know what your current power figure is?

Don't forget the exhaust, exhaust headers and sports cat.

It's time to remap it. You will probably need to use the Icon Race piggyback ecu unless you can find someone who can remap the MEMS.

I have an emerald ecu so fairly easy to set it up and ive had it remapped by Blizzard after i installed the cams. Apparantly its produceing 158bhp and 149lbs of torque peak.

Would be nice to see what else i can pull from the engine leaving it N/A. Im not intrested in turbos yet and ive heard that turboing a N/A car would become unreliable.

So exhaust, something by janspeed?

I have an emerald ecu so fairly easy to set it up and ive had it remapped by Blizzard after i installed the cams. Apparantly its produceing 158bhp and 149lbs of torque peak.

Would be nice to see what else i can pull from the engine leaving it N/A. Im not intrested in turbos yet and ive heard that turboing a N/A car would become unreliable.

So exhaust, something by janspeed?

Have you got a full spec to post up? The head is quite restricive on these, you are best off getting that ported and polished with bigger valves before using throttle bodies, or getting a vvc head and converting it to sold cam with a piper vvc blanking kit (it has bigger valves and is better flowing as standard)

Emerald k3 ecu
Ptp 52mm throttle body
Piper 275 cams
Pipercross induction kit
Tein sport suspension
Ptp brake upgrade kit

Everything else is standard. Would porting and polishing actually do anything? i heard the results very minimal at best.

as for the VVC my insurance company wont touch me on that. I told them the throttle body,ecu and suspension were replacements rather than upgrades. They havent increased my premiums yet the cams and induction kit did increase my premiums i dont think i would be able to afford a vvc conversion.

Scorpion exhaust with a sport cat. That's what I had on my 220 and it sounded great.

Do you find the Teins a bit hard?

They definatly feel sporty lol.

Theres absolutely no body roll that ive noticed yet. However speed bumps have become quite unforgiving and ive started to notice which parts on my car are lose.

No im not saying convert to vvc, you can use the vvc head but blank off the vvc mechs and run normal camshafts, its a better designed head than the one currently on your car. As long as the porting and polishing is done well (and bigger valves are used with 3/5 angle valve seats) then you will notice a big improvment! Anybody who thinks a proper port and polish gives negligable gains on a k series must be mad!

The only think with a vvc head converted to solid cam would be that you would need to buy new cams as the journals are bigger.

You could also consider using offset dowells, these alter the timing and have been proven to give nice gains.

Also...for more power you are using quite tame cams, you could consider using 285 profile ones without losing much drivability.

Have you read Dave Andrews k series tuning page? Search google for DVA power k series and you should find it, definatly worth a read

DVA power is an intresting read its where i got the idea of individual throttle bodies.

You could also consider using offset dowells, these alter the timing and have been proven to give nice gains.

youll have to excuse me my engine knowlage is limited. What do you mean?

QED offer the parts to run the VVC head and blanking parts. You won't gain much more if insurance is stopping you. The only way to get decent power from a 1.8 k-series is to drop in the 1.8T from the ZT and you can get 200 quite easily. Other than that it'll mean a full VVC engine, but throttle bodies will mean ideally using the 285 set-up to get the best out of it and all of this will cost money.

Lighten the car, remove the rear seats and fit lightweight buckets, there's always NOS :blink1:

DVA power is an intresting read its where i got the idea of individual throttle bodies.

youll have to excuse me my engine knowlage is limited. What do you mean?

They are the dowells on the camshaft sprocket, and change the cam timing without needing adjustable pulleys, Dave Andrews does them for a good price

QED offer the parts to run the VVC head and blanking parts. You won't gain much more if insurance is stopping you. The only way to get decent power from a 1.8 k-series is to drop in the 1.8T from the ZT and you can get 200 quite easily. Other than that it'll mean a full VVC engine, but throttle bodies will mean ideally using the 285 set-up to get the best out of it and all of this will cost money.

Lighten the car, remove the rear seats and fit lightweight buckets, there's always NOS :blink1:

200bhp is achievable without a turbo though...although pretty expensive.

Great power can still be had from NA, most people if running a vvc will convert it to solid cam to get big power from it anyway... although im not saying good power isnt achievable from a vvc :)

You overlooked buying a ZS with the correct engine, the V6.

:toung::p:lol:

(I had one and loved it.)

your overlooking my age lol.

munday those dowell adjustments intrigue me ill have to research into them more. Thanks for the advise as always

ok so ive ordered an xpower backbox with a janspeed decat pipe and 4-2-1 manifold. still got enough money left for new cams.

Im looking at the 285 by piper. They say not reccomended for standard injection. Ive never seen uprated injection for mg zs or am i being an idiot?

ok so ive ordered an xpower backbox with a janspeed decat pipe and 4-2-1 manifold. still got enough money left for new cams.

Im looking at the 285 by piper. They say not reccomended for standard injection. Ive never seen uprated injection for mg zs or am i being an idiot?

I think the standard injectors are fine, what they are probably getting at is that they wont run as well on standard managment (not a problem for you) but it will need a remap to run at its best. You would also benefit from some vernier pulleys and get them set up using Dave Andrews cam timing method :D

I have a QED pdf document that may be of help, it gives all the information on K-series tuning. It'll need to be emailed, pm me if you want a copy as I cannot attach this to the post for some reason.

just remember on the zr/zs 120 engines these pistons are on good for around 165 max bhp, this is what i was informed of by dave andrews back when i was tuning my old zr. the zr 160 pistons are a bit stronger with around 185 max bhp.
also on the 285 cam front they are really designed for a throttle bodied set up these are the cams i used when mine was tb'd. as said the pistons are now your limiting factor and your right on the edge of there max load so have a good think before adding anything else

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back