Snap On 'pedigree'

steviebobs991

Car
MB E220CDi
Hi all, newby here.

I have been an amateur 'Mech' for many years but find that I have less and less to do with modern cars being what they are. I am contemplating a 'self-build' (always wanted a 'Cobra'.)

But down to business.

I have inherited a large selection of Snap on and Britool tools in a Snap on top-box. I have never been able to afford this quality level in the past. I am deciding which tools I will actually use and which to dispose of.

The Snap on are a mix of USA made and Canada made. Is there a big quality difference, or warranty perhaps? I have taken a look on Ebay but most sellers dont seem to specify USA or Canada. I know that Blue Point were a 'budget' range from Snap on, but not sure if the Canadian made tools are similarly budget?

Any help from you guys greatly appreciated.

SjH

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

I have had Snap-On tools for almost 30 years and they are as good now as the day I bought them. Never heard of any difference in quality between American or Canadian made tools. As long as they are Snap-On then the lifetime quality guarantee will still apply. I have never ever thrown a tool away unless it was broken or failed. The moment you get rid of a tool because you think you don't or will never use it, then trust me on this, the very next job you do will require that tool - ask me how I know :embarrest:

Thanks for that - I do agree on needing the tool you disposed of!

I have to say I am not even sure what some of the tools actually are. There is a hammer with a silver head but the 'faces' are a heavy plastic. Might come in handy for tightening the hub nut on my wires if the Cobra project gets under way !!

SjH

I have one of those hammers, they are very useful, they are used in the same role as a hammer but are designed for minimum impact damage on whatever it is that you are striking.

Keep the mallet, if getting hacked off it'll cause less damage than a lump hammer when you throw it!

Snap-On is Snap-On at the end of the day, people will buy it regardless. Many moons ago I bought a large screwdriver set off the dealer, it was all Snap-On but branded Caterpillar, they had gone to the wall so had to sell off the stock.

I have had their tools for near on 30 years too, today there are others that do the same job for alot less money, badge snobbery is all it is, just like our cars! I have a mixed selection of brands, I buy cheaper if it's a one shot job.

^^^ Indeed young man, I have noticed that Halfords do quite a good range of tools with a lifetime guarantee and at a fraction of the cost of the mighty Snap-On. It all depends on what you want really? At the end of the day; a screw does not come undone any easier because it is turned by a Snap-On screwdriver as opposed to a Halfords one :)

I have a mix of tools and use the cheaper ones to heat and bend to make it easier to get to in awkward places. instead of buying special tool #284671

My only problem with Snap-on, and the Stanley set I have, is they are very shiny and smooth so can be slippery to hold with oily hands.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back