Smokey

SteveUU

Car
Audi A4 1.9 Tdi 130
Hi everyone, my first time on forums, so please be patient.
I have an 2004 A4 Avant sport 1.9 Tdi 130 bhp it smokes when accelerating. I been told to blank the EGR and bypass the cat by one friend & a colleague said there is a particul filter that's worth removing aswell. Lastly I want to increase the bhp by chipping.
Any suggestion.
Thx

Yes tried a new filtet and injector cleaner. Onky seems to it after the wife drives it for a few days.
could it be the catalitic blocked or the particle filter.

The TDi 130 PD engines aren't the cleanest under full bore acceleration, try a couple of tanks of BP Ultimate diesel. I don't think these cars had DPFs; this in itself will lead to some smoking under heavy acceleration. A blockage in DPF or cat would result in a serious loss of performance and pitiful fuel economy. Get it fully warmed up and drive it hard for 1/2 hour or so. Try a bottle of Wynns Diesel Power 3 additive too.

i dont know much about that specific car but i know that when diesels start blowing out extensive black smoke it can be many things , from clogged air filters to bad Injectors , for starters try cleaning the Intake Manifold and the EGR , replace the air filter /Fuel filter , you can also try cleaning the Catalyst ... Mainly black smoke means that the Air/fuel mixture is off and more fuel is being burnt than air , try using a Fuel additive to clean the whole fuel system and injectors

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Having had issues with my diesel I'm +1 with HDI here and put a system cleaner through that will clean up all those parts mentioned. Use a decent professional cleaner like Wynns or the BG244 stuff . There's a recent thread on here with links to the manufacturer and stores to purchase.

Cheap fuel is the biggest culprit IMO. Drive it hard run some BG244 through it and make sure it's been properly serviced.

I take it that things improve after a motorway run. Slow low RPM driving styles do not suit this engine, use the full rev range which is actually quite narrow.

Things to check if the problem remains are the intake/exhaust sensors.

I have tried some injector cleaner with a half tank of petrol, I will get some more and I'll get the one mentione.
If I blank the EGR ( I've seen some on Ebay ) would it need to be set up, a work colleague said that the EGR gets blocked and blanking was a good move. Can
The car has done 120k and weve had 6 years, The wive drives it to work 5 m in traffic and it didn't use to smoke but on odd occasions I drive it and im heavier on the throttle, a large cloud comes out. But then its ok.

It's not injector cleaner you need. Wynns Diesel Power 3 is a cerium based additive and it's job is to lower the temperature at which accumulated soot will ignite and thus burn away. I hope you mean diesel not petrol btw. 120,000 miles is nothing for these engines but it's plenty of time for soot to accumulate. Stay away from supermarket diesel too.

You would need to alter the ECU to properly blank off the EGR. It would report a fault if it were missing otherwise.

The EGR is not the big problem people make it out to be. It only opens at light load and really helps with fuel economy.

Most "fuel cleaners" are too dilute to do anything. Stick to one of our recommended products and you'll see results from them. I used the BG244 in mine and it made a noticable difference. These will help burn off the carbon particles in the engine rather than just clean the injectors.

Just so you know fella, adding petrol to your diesel ISN'T a great way of keeping injectors clean, diesel has high lubrication qualities than petrol and this quality is vital for proper operation and service life of injectors and injector pumps.
VAG 1.9 PD tdi engines are quite smoky in standard form and they didn't introduce DPFs until the 2.0 PD came out and then they were only fitted to the 170 variant of the 2.0 PD engine.
I would say EGR is clogged and so is your intake manifold, you say it gets worse after your wife has driven it, well chances are she drives like a granny which means the egr has been open for prolonged periods of time and the exhaust gases haven't been hot enough,
Best thing to do is clean it all up and remove said EGR valve thus removing the problem altogether.

Posh DIESEL and a 'purposeful' drive firstly. I don't think the original poster actually meant petrol went into the tank. 1/2 tank of petrol will wreck the PD unit injectors.

Two stroke oil is well reported to be good at cleaning up the combustion of diesel engines. Added to diesel in a nearly homeopathic dose at the ratio of 1:200 or even lower. I chuck 1/4 litre of two stroke into the tank of my 2.0 Passat every time I fill up. It's a non DPF model and it's virtually soot free even under full pedal at low revs

Thanks for all the advise, I will get some Wynns. Yes I meant Diesel not Petrol. Won't be for a week.
I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again.

Thanks for all the advise, I will get some Wynns. Yes I meant Diesel not Petrol. Won't be for a week.
I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again.

Excellent advice given. As regards the remap talk to @rob Bentley from JR Tuning, link is at top of page, he will sort you out with what requirements you want. A performance map looks like it will take you into the high 180hp area :-D

Out of interest, how long have you had the car? I ask because I had a Fabia vRS in with the PD130 a while ago. Car had already been "mapped" by a previous owner (current owner had no idea). It made very little power over stock, but was exceptionally smokey. You'd be surprised how often this happens.

That said as @HDi fun correctly points out - these engines have no DPF, so they are always a little smokey. One 'trick' you can do with the older ones which are particularly sooty is get a tuner (and there are lots of good ones out there, I'm not going to sit here and suggest you have to use me for this!) who writes their own files in-house and will tailor it for your car. A common method which eases up the smoke is to build the boost up a little earlier than the fuelling, to help reduce that big bellow of smoke when you initially stamp on the throttle.

Out of interest, how long have you had the car? I ask because I had a Fabia vRS in with the PD130 a while ago. Car had already been "mapped" by a previous owner (current owner had no idea). It made very little power over stock, but was exceptionally smokey. You'd be surprised how often this happens.

That said as @HDi fun correctly points out - these engines have no DPF, so they are always a little smokey. One 'trick' you can do with the older ones which are particularly sooty is get a tuner (and there are lots of good ones out there, I'm not going to sit here and suggest you have to use me for this!) who writes their own files in-house and will tailor it for your car. A common method which eases up the smoke is to build the boost up a little earlier than the fuelling, to help reduce that big bellow of smoke when you initially stamp on the throttle.

Diesel mapping is a fun game. We need enough fuel in to get enough exhaust gas flow in order to spool up the turbo. (Yes, Rob, I know that you can play with pilot injection timing and volume etc but the driver has to play ball too) How else do we drive the compressor wheel?? I suggest that the we stop changing up as soon as possible (ie at the lowest revs where the car won't stall in the next gear up the box), once the turbo is providing extra air (oxygen) - hang on to gears a while longer. Let the engine breathe. Drive it.

Engines are better for being driven.

And look at cerium based additives to help burn off previously accumulated soot.

Diesel mapping is a fun game. We need enough fuel in to get enough exhaust gas flow in order to spool up the turbo. (Yes, Rob, I know that you can play with pilot injection timing and volume etc but the driver has to play ball too) How else do we drive the compressor wheel??

To be fair with the VAG engines at least, you don't need to play with them much to reduce the smoke. There is still enough fuel burning at low-load to produce noticeably more boost than the pressure limiter allows. I've often tuned this slightly earlier than tuning the injected quantity maps and observed a marked reduction in initial smoke as the engine is already running with a higher volume of air. Naturally this does little to help first gear launches on them, but it does help the rest of the time.

To be fair with the VAG engines at least, you don't need to play with them much to reduce the smoke. There is still enough fuel burning at low-load to produce noticeably more boost than the pressure limiter allows. I've often tuned this slightly earlier than tuning the injected quantity maps and observed a marked reduction in initial smoke as the engine is already running with a higher volume of air. Naturally this does little to help first gear launches on them, but it does help the rest of the time.

I can see what you're saying - let the turbo spool up as soon as possible. Maybe the reason VAG leaves it slightly later is to disguise the lead/lag feel?

Diesel engines lend themselves well to turbocharging because they are not stifled by throttles.

The PD engines are rough things especially in the 4 cylinder form under the bonnet of my Passat (which I hate with avengeance). But I cannot argue about the pickup from 900-1000rpm, long before the turbo has any chance of doing anything. It's all a bit switch on/switch off, not remotely progressive at all.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back