Skyline Modifications

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any ideas on ways to modify the Skyline range of cars? How do you make the R32 RWD - I've seen them do burnouts but they are Four Wheel Drive? Please let us know how reliable your Skylines have been.

waynne said:
Any ideas on ways to modify the Skyline range of cars? How do you make the R32 RWD - I've seen them do burnouts but they are Four Wheel Drive? Please let us know how reliable your Skylines have been.

The mods on Skylines are virtually endless...

Firstly they're not all 4wd, that's only the GT-R's, the GT-S's are all 2wd, also the GT-R's aren't permanent 4wd...
In normal driving conditions the car is rwd, the ATESSA E-TS PRO is Nissans 4WD system which decides how much torque and when to transfer to the front wheels...
The cars are also fitted with HICAS, that is the Nissan 4ws system...

Google Nissan ATESSA E-TS PRO and you'll undersatnd how the GT-R's can spin the rear wheels...

Oh, and mine's been very reliable, not let me down once...

waynne said:
Hi Tobes and welcome to torquecars. Have you done any mods to your skyline?

Hey Waynne, thanks for the welcome...

Yeah, mostly engine mods, JUN 2.7 stroker kit and all associated parts, as I only really track the car, not much visable from the outside...

8)

Yep, Mods for the GTR is as much as your wallet can handle... Well, my doesn't handle much, that for sure.

Nice one Tobes, JUN 2.7 Kit sounds nice...

My should be good once I drive all the bugs out of it... its all the little thing like flat battery, several trim, a bulb and severl nuts type of deal.

As for realiability... Uh, I never trust a skyline, sorry. Even my engine got all the right work and done by the right people (Was Abbey, now going with SVA Import), Its one of those things that goes when it want to, to think that it will last more then 50k miles is a dream... Especially if you are pushing big power. I am only pushing over 600bhp, I am sure you are doing more if you got a 2.7L Jun kit.

As for the R32 GTR wanting to be RWD...EASY. The R32 have a older system of 4WD system. If you want RWD, just pull the 4WD fuse from the fuse box under the driver side dash, done. Sideway action if you dare... :D

Removal of a fuse for RWD - that must rate as one of the easiest and cheapest mods around :wink:

The more power you make the more unreliable the car - its best to turn boost down a little for road use and then just go mad with it on the track!

Did you lose much fuel economy with your mods? How many gallons per mile you getting? :lol:

love the fact that you said 'only 600bhp' nocturnal. sounds like your under rating your power just a tad. most people would be happy with half of what you have.

waynne said:
:lol: Power is like money the more you have the more you need!

i'll second that lol

stage 1
exhaust, decat, down pipe, airfilter, bov

stage 2
airflow meter, injectors, ecu, boost controler, fuel pump

stage 3
bigger turbo, forge it up and fit valves and cams

Its wierd isn't it? I've never ever seen one.

What do you reckon the stages are defined as here is my opinion.

Stage 1: Fast road, fully legal and maintains reliabilty

Stage 2: Mild track tune, mainly legal but lower reliability.

Stage 3: Mental full sports tune up, not legal and terrible fuel economy and lower reliability

(Legal relates mainly to emissions and noise.) Do you think there is more to it than that or do you think I am reading too much into these terms?

love the fact that you said 'only 600bhp' nocturnal. sounds like your under rating your power just a tad. most people would be happy with half of what you have.

What Nocturnal means ( I think) is that with an RB26 engine there is easily another 300-400 bhp available as long as you have the money and dont mind a 'lag monster'
And of course whatever internals you have these engines wont last forever at these figures.

hi im new to this site and all but i was wondering whtare the first mods i should do to my new R32 GTR. I was thinking i wanted to max out the stock potential of the car before changing stock parts. Iv heard that the R32 can produce up to 600hp running everything stock. so if you guys haveany ideas for me that would be great and also things i should watch out for to be careful of any engine malfunctions. And what is a 'lag monster' ? thanks!

To anwer a few queries
"Pub talk" should always be taken with a pinch of salt . Someones mates GTR etc etc
Standard internals dont change the power so an rb26 can produce 600 on them but it wont last. around 500-550 is about the max std can take . (still pretty damn good)
Lag monster = car with huge turbo that has no power untill 5000 or 6000rpm then disappears over the horizon.
You can get 600 with little lag with the right turbos and engine mods ; much above this and the power will be higher up rev range.
Best set up is probably induction , exhaust boost controller and ecu swop (power fc is a good option)
Will give you 380-420 bhp with no lag to speak of .After that it gets progressively more expensive as you will need different turbo(s) and injectors etc etc.

lol ohh okay so having a 2 turbos is better than 1 big one that takes up too 5000 to 6000 rpms to boost up. So you think induction, exhaust, boost controller and ecu is the best FIRST mods before changing anything major? how long do the stock turbos and other stock parts last for untill you start to see ware from the FIRST mods? and also for the first mods do you have any good brands in mind that would work the best? thanks a lot!

lol ohh okay so having a 2 turbos is better than 1 big one that takes up too 5000 to 6000 rpms to boost up. So you think induction, exhaust, boost controller and ecu is the best FIRST mods before changing anything major? how long do the stock turbos and other stock parts last for untill you start to see ware from the FIRST mods? and also for the first mods do you have any good brands in mind that would work the best? thanks a lot!

Tuning a RB26 (or any engine) cannott be dealt with in a couple of sentances
If you want info in any real detail go on to the owners club forums where all the answers available just by using the search button .
Dont post up this question though as its has been asked so many times people have got fed up with answering it.

The gtr was an amazing vehicle around 300 bhp as standard ( when it was introduced circa 1989 ) and can be safely tuned to 400 with stage

But you are still talking about a 15-20 year old car

You just need to remmber this.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys you seem to be mainly talking about gtr .i have had a gtst r33 for about 6 years then a gtt r34 for about 13 months both of which had same spec,fmic,hks exhaust,decat pipe,hks air filter,bov.both cars have been very reliable,and have cost normal running costs,i have always done oil and filter change every 4 months.I realise the difference to a gtr which may require more servicing etc.

GTR engines dont need any more or less maintainance that GTS/GTT engine if the state of tune is the same

If you tune any car up a lot it needs more regular maintainance .