Skoda VRS. Have you driven one?

jizy

Wrench Pro
Im looking to get a new car very soon. Will be using it for work aswell so must be economical but still have a bit of grunt.

Looking for the first time at a diesel! I drove a Seat Leon TDI and loved it. The best value TDI ive seen is the Skoda VRS. Yes it is a Skoda but cheaper to insure, run and repair. I have to admit I dont find the styling that bad and the interior is good. Also from what ive heard quite fast after a remap + a few other parts. Anyone give me some good advice? Have you driven one?

cheers

i take it your meaning the fabia. for some reason i have heard of lots of problems after a remapping the fabia, yet lots of vw seats and audi share the same engine but not the same problem. i have also heard the same with the Mk1 Octavia VRS having issues with gaskets going in no time at all. yet the problems across the rest of the group havent shown up these issues. not saying they dont eist tho

never been in one but have driven a remapped golf with the 130 engine ( VRS one ) and it was a nice drive. also driven the 150 variant engine which is only available in VW and Seat would have bought it if it wasent for the price

I've driven one in stock 130bhp form and they're very pleasant indeed. This should map to about 185-190bhp with a monster increase in torque, thus turning it into an extremely capable little roadburner. Autoexpress let Superchips work on their example. Follow this link to see what they had to say:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/longtermtests/59880/skoda_fabia_vrs.html

I'd get one if you're in the market for a beautifully built sporty car.

Mm, my Golf which is similar to that started at 140, ends at 180 - there abouts, MPG from Stockport to Abersoch (130 miles each way) was 45.5mpg both ways. Thats not light driving either, although generally in 6th, 80-100 on the motorway.

That said its a damn sight cheaper than the Golf so... I suppose my arguement doesnt stand (Only just looked at the price! :p)

izo your golfs the newer 2.0 the fabia uses the older 1.9pd unit.

130 remaps give anything from 160-180 bhp, can go higher but everything starts to struggle then, clutch etc,

incidentally superchips claim a higher torque fig for a remapped 130 than the remapped 150

The 1.9PD engines despite appearing similar on the outside in different tune levels are, I'm led to believe, subject to some significant internal differences. The higher output units allegedly have additional oil spray bars underneath the pistons for cooling and the exhaust valve stems are sodium filled.

Perhaps it's these sort of engineering differences that restrict the maximum safe levels of tune.

How much different is the torque figure claimed by SCs?

I have two friends...

Friend one that has the golf with the Fabia VRS engine...
Friend two wants to buy a Fabia VRS

Apparently, Friend One told Friend Two that his golf isnt extremely fast...

But Friend Two has heard that the Fabia is a lot faster than the golf, despite them both sharing the same engine?

Any thoughts?

The 1.9PD engines despite appearing similar on the outside in different tune levels are, I'm led to believe, subject to some significant internal differences. The higher output units allegedly have additional oil spray bars underneath the pistons for cooling and the exhaust valve stems are sodium filled.

Perhaps it's these sort of engineering differences that restrict the maximum safe levels of tune.

How much different is the torque figure claimed by SCs?

turbos, injectors and software are also different between the low (90-110) and high (130 -150)

superchips show

VAG 1.9 PD 130 as 167bhp and 386Nm (285 ftlb)

VAG 1.9 PD 150 as 185 bhp and 357Nm (263 ftlb)

when i looked on ebay to get prices for a K04 turbo for my car there were listings for a diesel turbo, variable vanes to relive boost, suitable for the 130 150 engine only .

What's the thing with VV turbos?

My P406 uses a Garrett T3 with variable vanes but it has a traditional wastegate as well. Both are under ECU control but I don't see why a wastegate is needed as surely the vanes could all lay down flat and therefore give no boost at all.

That'll do by way of explanation. What would happen if the vanes got stuck in a 'high boost' position? I suppose if they weren't all evenly located then it would self destruct due to imbalance.

Would it simply rev up all on its own and go bang or would the ECU stop fuelling in this situation?

I've heard of nasty things happening like the oil seals failing and the engine burning its own oil as fuel until all it's all used up.

ive seen that on a tractor before. cant remember what programme it was on thou. they removed the governor to get more power big mistake it wrecked the whole engine.

how do the vanes move anyway ?

That's kind of the impression I got. Although there's no mechanical governor in my engine so if it ever went into oil burning mode the only way to stop it would be engage a high gear and dump the clutch - effectively stalling it.

Let's hope this doesn't happen any time soon.

pixel

done a comparision on a 2004 Golf Gttdi an 2004 Vrs
msn follow link

the 0-60 are both the same 9.6 seconds top speed max speed is 127

power powered by 130 bhp @ 4000 rpm with both torque set at 288ftlb (310Nm)
the golf is around 70kgs lighter so has a better power to weight ratio.
the only real differences are in new price and insurance groups golf was £4k dearer and 4 insurance groups higher

if his golf isnt as fast as the fabia ether the fabias been modified or something is wrong with the golf. lots of common problems with the VAG diesels losing power most are easy sorted thou - dirty MAF, burst vac pipe etc

Last edited:
Blimey! All cars are too heavy these days. Many many years ago I had a Rover Montego (wrong, it was an Austin one 1985/C plate) and it looked HEAVY. They were said to be built like tanks' yet tipped the scales at just under a ton (997kg to be precise) because they were really pretty flimsy. Cavaliers and Sierras of the same era were similar.

Yet the Puegeot 406 saloon I have now is over 1500kg. That's more than a 50% hike in kerbside weight.

I just wonder what a Montego would go like with the Pug's engine grafted in.