Sketchy mini van

HunterDean

Car
2015 Subaru impreza
Hey guys I have a 2002 Honda odessey it's a great van I love it to death but the alarm goes off randomly all the time! Does this happen to anyone else?? I've replace the multiplexers I've tried parking on different angles... I've gotten to point where if I have to park it some where I manually lock it and unhook the battery! Please help!

Could be a number of reasons, is the alarm self powered? By that I mean does it have a built in battery which is designed to sound the alarm should your main van battery cable be cut by rascals. If it does then it is very likely that the battery due to the age now has a dodgy cell and could be triggering the alarm. Do you have ultrasonic detectors? Do you have swinging air fresheners or other silly items that hang in your van by string or chains? If so then the movement of these items can cause the alarm to sound as the movement is detected by the sensors and deemed to be intruders. Do you have a faulty main battery? If so sometimes the battery may have a dodgy cell which is more noticable in a colder temperature i.e. at night, the alarm perceives this as a volt-drop which in turn will sound the alarm.

You need to look into these possible scenarios first buddy.

I've put a new battery in it and there are no damaged wires. It seems like the car is reading an issue in its system and sets of the alarm completly randomly and with no warning.

Well have a look at the things I have suggested first before you condemn the alarm. Another couple of things to check are the courtesy light and hood switches. These can become corroded and or the connection to them, so take them off and check. Also, have you installed anything electrical or electronic recently that might be causing your alarm to misbehave?
If you know anything about electrics then you could also investigate if there is a current drain on the system. Remove your negative lead from the main battery, and with a small 12 volt dc lamp with a couple of leads attached, put this in series with the detached end of the negative cable and the negative post on the battery. If all is well, then you should see between the merest flicker of the light and no light at all. As you open the front door to allow the courtesy light to come on then you will see your test lamp glow brighter, this indicates current drain and this is what your looking for to see if anything is staying on or not.

Also, double check that your air vents inside the cabin are closed. When opened and especially if the alarm has ultrasonics and is not a particularly sophisticated model, this can cause dangling items to move or even just the air movement can be enough to set off the alarm. One other thing to check is to replace the battery in your remote fob, some systems require the fob to select a random code for access to be used on the next time of entry and if the battery in the fob is low this can cause spurious instructions to go to the main alarm unit thus causing it to be confused.

Well that's all I can think off at the moment, good luck with the search! There is one other cure! Just spend a $100 and put another alarm on the van :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back