Six Point Subframe Brace - Any Good?

I'm not so sure, there are plenty of Track/Race 306's over on the GTI6 that have done this but I'm not sure if it's nessersary on a road car, I'd like a crack at doing it but getting suspension right is still a little out of my understanding.
They have used rear coilover suspension and the torsion bars are still in the tubes to keep the trailing arms in the beam, some have even talked about borrowing a rear subframe from a BMW Mini so they can have fully independant rear suspension.
The 306 Maxi rally car had torsion bars and that thing gave the big 4wd cars a run for the money on tarmac. Plus I'd be affraid of spoiling the personality of the car. (It's kind of why I choose it over a golf or a saxo.) I'd reckon though a rear set up from a 405 or 406 would be better maybe if it was to be done....

Still a lot to think about though as I do like smart engineering solutions.

I have no strut bracing what so ever at the moment.

If you plan on making it 'the best it can be' and keeping it then the conversion is probably the better option imo. I'm not familiar with the suspension on a 306, only the basic setup but surely you can't really do much with the rear suspension because of the torsion bars. At what sort of cost have the guys on GTI6 done the conversion?

Brace wise you should have the option of front upper, rear upper and rear lower. With yours being FWD I would definitely get a front upper to tighten things up.

There is plenty you can do with the rear tosion bar setup, lowering it is infinate (you get the picture) and you can buy stiffer bars and a stiffer ARB for the rear.

I'd have to look the costs up because I have no idea as to them.

Well finally! just received email confirmation that my baby is going in next Thursday for the fitting of the 6 point subframe brace & rear strut brace :D
Wish it was last week, so that I could have had it all fitted for my track day tomorrow :(

Will let you know how it performs on Thursday night ;)

Well finally! just received email confirmation that my baby is going in next Thursday for the fitting of the 6 point subframe brace & rear strut brace :D
Wish it was last week, so that I could have had it all fitted for my track day tomorrow :(

Will let you know how it performs on Thursday night ;)

Good stuff mate! Keep us updated.

Are these what stiffen up the car normally found under the bonnet that go on what i think is the top of the suspension??

If so are they really worth it i no on a mx5 you can get front and rear and then bottom front bottom rear and a bottom middle 4 point one would all that be any use?

Are these what stiffen up the car normally found under the bonnet that go on what i think is the top of the suspension??

If so are they really worth it i no on a mx5 you can get front and rear and then bottom front bottom rear and a bottom middle 4 point one would all that be any use?

Yes although I suspect you'd be beefing your up because it's a cabriolet it should have most of these fitted as standard to help stiffen a car with no structural roof.

What T9 is fitting goes under the car. Strut braces are fitted at the top of the struts (in the case of upper braces). As yours is a vert you will probably have some braces underneath.

This should give you an idea of what may be underneath (this is a BMW though): http://www.bmw-m.net/Gallery/xbrace/X-brace_installed.jpg

Well the deed has been done! last Thursday the six point subframe brace was fitted, along with a custom made rear strut brace, and some more polybushes! They had four men working on that car to make sure that everything got done in the one day! :bigsmile:

I took the car straight down to Elites in Rainham Essex and had the full geometry done over again but this time with the camber set too 2 degrees negative :)

WOW!! What a difference on the handling, can't wait for my next track day! :bigsmile:

Cheers TN, Well I have a choice of Castle Combe in July or Snetterton in September!

Think I might opt for Snetterton though as the Saab GB Nationals are in July ;)

I have been to Combe TN, always thought it a little too twisty for my liking, but this would be a very good test for my new handling powers! Pity it's in July and not September!

That's true! Just think it's too much of a risk in July when I value putting on a good show at the Saab Nationals at Haydock Park this year more! ;)
I'm going all out to win the "Best 9-3" in the country for the second year in a row! :)

Nice update mate! -2 camber sounds good. What does high speed stability feel like?

Cheers Prince, high speed stability is much much better now; it's one of the reasons why I went for the -2 as a trial! @ 130 plus, the steering felt too light and was difficult to keep a true track on a sweeping bend, way too much effort involved! so opening the throttle any further was an absolute no no! Now @ 120 as a test (all of this was under controlled track conditions off course) it was a revelation! hope to be able to take the old girl off the clock @ 160 plus in Germany next Friday week if all goes well, and track the full speed from the onboard speed camera detector :bigsmile:

Only her indoors, wants to come along :amazed: how do you explain to her that you would rather she did'nt as there is a weight disadvantage for mph/sec travelled! :embarrest: I have a very strong feeling, that this would not be the most wisest or most sensible thing I have ever said to her! :sad2: So I think i'll just keep my mouth shut and be glad of her company! :lol:

Tell her you feel for her safety and will be reigning in the power so as not to risk injuring her! That way you get brownie points!

You know what your car needs next T?

Some drugs........
In the form of nitrous oxide! or water/meths or something like that...

For a minute there J, I thought you was going to ask me if could take a small package hidden in a coffee jar to your frail old auntie in Cologne! :lol:

Funny thing about the water/meths injection! i'm sure I asked about that subject a long time ago on here and it was thought to be not a good idea! So I left it alone! Do you think the car would benefit from such a kit then?