Side liner, Centre line hugger or Straight down the middle?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Here is an unusual one for you. Where on the road do you drive? I had someone in work (who always likes to put people down) come up to me in front of my boss and accuse me of nearly killing him. He said I was to close to the centre line, and that meant I was only 3 foot away from him. I obviously told him to get back in his box and shut his pie hole (with at least made my boss laf).

So what are you. Centre line hugger like me, Side liner (drive in the gutter as I would put it) or stay central on the road?

im holding the centre more just now as the edge of the roads are hellish just now, potholes and heavy rain means you cant see the potholes as well now.

dad always accused me of being a grass cutter when i was learning however.

and what was he doing walking in the road anyway ?

and what was he doing walking in the road anyway ?

He was DRIVING the other way!! He is an attention seeker. He likes to catch people when they are stood next to the boss and put them down, to make himself look good. He is a little worm!

He was trying to explain that we could have had a 120mph crash if we collided! Its only down to me having a nice car that he is jelous about and he likes to get little diggs in.

I have always driven close to the centre, sorry if it is wrong, but I enjoy cornering rather than straight line speed, and you get more road for your money when you drive centre.

I vary my road position a lot depending on conditions. I try to keep as far away from hazards as i can.

So if there is nothing coming towards me I'm touching the centre line. If I approach a junction I may even move over a bit more so my wheel is just over the centre line.

If I'm overtaking I keep as far right as I can, practically in the gutter on the right side.

If there are cars coming towards me then I hug the left of the lane I'm in but not in the gutter.

On empty country roads where I can see clearly I use both sides of the road and take a racing line.

He was DRIVING the other way!!

stirthepot.gif

:D

Here is an unusual one for you. Where on the road do you drive? I had someone in work (who always likes to put people down) come up to me in front of my boss and accuse me of nearly killing him. He said I was to close to the centre line, and that meant I was only 3 foot away from him. I obviously told him to get back in his box and shut his pie hole (with at least made my boss laf).

So what are you. Centre line hugger like me, Side liner (drive in the gutter as I would put it) or stay central on the road?

You must tell this person how lucky he is to be living and driving in the country he is.

If he was here in India, and there was a 3' gap between his vehicle and yours, you can be sure that another motorist would have tried to squeeze into it, no matter what direction or speeds of the vehicles.

And then tell him the only reason you gave him the 3' space was because you knew what a rotten driver he was, and did not want anything happen to you own car.

Well I usually take the middle of my side of the road in a 2-way road, or the cnter on a one -way street.

This way I can move both ways to allow a vehicle to overtake, or the other way to overtake one myself.

And this way I avoid the potholes and pedestrians too..

Last edited:
Depends upon the situation. I use the available width of the road for vision, visibility, and, when necessary and when safe, stability during a cornering move.

No hard and fast rules here.

I think and plan my drive.

Tell him that the although the closing speed would be 120 the effect on each vehicle would be the same as hitting a solid object at 60, not 120 as people seem to think. If he doesn't believe you, just tell him to do a little research before spouting off:)

My advanced driving instructor taught me to use the available road width. So, ignoring road structure, down the centre of my lane on a standard 2 lane (one each way) road. On a 3 lane each way dual carraigeway use the centre lane if no one else is around as this gives you more room to control the car in the event of a major mechanical failure or an animal or debris on carriageway. I always move over when I see another vehicle approaching on my mirror as I HATE centre lane huggers. Most of my dual carriageway driving is done at night when the roads in my neck of the woods are quietish.

Last edited:
Tell him that the although the closing speed would be 120 the effect on each vehicle would be the same as hitting a solid object at 60, not 120 as people seem to think. If he doesn't believe you, just tell him to do a little research before spouting off:)

My advanced driving instructor taught me to use the available road width. So, ignoring road structure, down the centre of my lane on a standard 2 lane (one each way) road. On a 3 lane each way dual carraigeway use the centre lane if no one else is around as this gives you more room to control the car in the event of a major mechanical failure or an animal or debris on carriageway. I always move over when I see another vehicle approaching on my mirror as I HATE centre lane huggers. Most of my dual carriageway driving is done at night when the roads in my neck of the woods are quietish.

That is exactly the way I drive.

And I echo your sentiments about lane-huggers too.

A pity there are so many selfish people around.