side exit exhausts " the legality "

MrB

Road Burner
hello my friends

need to make a desition on the exhaust for the skyline, i can either re fit the old exhaust which was 4" straight through with a 5" can on the back but i would like to have a new one made straight through with side exit in front of the rear wheel, ( save a bit of pipe save a bit of weight lol).

i know some kit cars have side exit opipes but does anyone know were the law stands and what parameters you have to obide by when having one made

As far as MOT is concerned, the exhaust has to be securely mounted, be complete, not leak and meet emission requirements. There is no mention in the MOT rules (as far as I can see) with regard to where the exhaust exits. All Lotus Seven style cars have exhausts exiting at the side and these are legal. Home made kit cars have to meet VERY strict SVA rules and pass them with side exhuasts.

The guys who built my car have a demonstrator with a side exhaust & that had an MOT too. I'm going to have one on mine when this one expires. :amuse:

I'm just guessing here but I would have thought the tailpipe should be further back than the passenger compartment to prevent fumes from getting in - common sense really.

The Lotus 7's and caterfields all have side exhausts but the exit is rear of the seats.

I have seen quite a few cars with exit pipes level with the drivers door though so it's probably not a legal requirement.

I know of a car with an air intake on one side of the front bumper & an exhaust on the other side, I've got some pic's somewhere I'll try & find them later.

I know of a car with an air intake on one side of the front bumper & an exhaust on the other side, I've got some pic's somewhere I'll try & find them later.
is it this 1 by anychance loz
beast6.jpg

I've seen a few cars like this. I imagine I'll end up with a side-exit exhaust just a 4 or 5 feet long from turbo-back, depending on finding a big quiet silencer.

I can't find the pic' but the Herbs is better, because the car I'm thinking of (& I've lost the photo's to :() was a drift car and therefore not exactly road legal!

I can't find the pic' but the Herbs is better, because the car I'm thinking of (& I've lost the photo's to :() was a drift car and therefore not exactly road legal!

from what i remember this isnt exactly road legal either :blink:

nothing to worry about for having side exits
nothing to do with the mot or as far as i know the road law

but one thing i was told the other day i dont know how true it is cos i wont have anything that big
but was told that car now cant have any thing bigger then a 3in pipe coming out the back if you look at some backboxes they do have a smaller dia pipe inside them maybe for this reason

cheers for the info guys, sorry for the slow reply working stupid hours, ive not found anything saying that i cant do this anywere so i reckon its going to happen. as far s i know the silver saxo that was at all the shows with the mad airbrushing was mot'd and he had a tailpipe out of each side of his front bumper. the plan is that now ive got the wider body because of the dtm panels that have been made ( dont worry oldgit loads of metal swapped for fibreglass lol ) i want twin 4" ovals coming out the side in front of the rear wheel on the passengers side which will make it easier to get the rear diffuser to sit on.