Shout out to All my TDI family!! Help with tire/wheel upsize

Car
2014 Passat SE TDI
I wanted to increase my ride height by increasing my wheel and tire size. I was curious if anyone knows what the largest wheel/tire size I can fit on my 2014 Passat SE TDI without making any mods. I live in the country and have too much wildlife crossing the road while i drive after dark. I have already damged the front valance by hitting a skunk last week. I just bought this car 6 months ago. My last car was a 99 camry and it was hit by 5 deer, 3 hogs, and unknown number os rabbits, raccoons, skunks, and armadillos. I ended up buying larger tires for it and the extra height helped out so much. I have invested in deer whistles and they seem to be effective but not on the smaller wildlife. I realize it will affect the center of gravity and performace. But in the future I will tighten up the suspension with mods. But first I need to raise her up a bit. I am sure there is a tire/wheel combo that will fill the wheel well out more fully and maybe she will have a better stance from afar. lol

You'll be altering your final drive ratio and your speedo will under or over read depending on how the rolling radius differs.

I've seen 19's running on the passat with low profile tyres with few problems. Why not invest in some coilovers and raise them up to the max? You could also look at the Audi Allroad airbag suspension setup, I think this will retrofit on the passat with some fiddling.

Personally I think you'd be better of with a set of 18 inch wheels with heavy duty tyres and a high sidewall profile.

The stock rr rolling radius is around 332 to 335mm

The following should theoretically fit if your suspension is in good condition, but there is likely to be some grounding on the arches in extreme conditions.

220/60 R17's 347.9mm rr
210/65 R16's 339.7mm rr
235/45 R19's 347.05 mm rr
235/50 R18's 346.1mm rr

To calculate your rr see our page ...https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/alloy-wheels.php

You should be able to measure out the new rr and as long as you have some clearance with the arches it should be fine. (allow around 30mm clearance as an absolute minimum)

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back