Should modified cars be subject to a technical inspection before allowed on the road?

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have stripped a few modified Sierra Cosworths recently and found many faults, including the following safety issues:

Rear driveshaft CV bolts loose and partly undone.
Aeroquip fuel connector alaldited to fuel tank.
Tyres cut by front arches.

I am sure that you can add to this list of horrors.

Bearing in mind the time and money spent by manufacturers making cars safer, should we be allowed to mess with them at all? If yes, should there be an IVA style examination/test prior to the car being allowed back on the road?

I, for one, would not object to a test if it allowed me to continue to modify.

Re: Should modified cars be subject to a technical inspection before allowed on the r

There should be some type of CORGI registration for people who work on cars. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The MOT could do with being a lot more thorough, IMO a lot of things are just not checked at all that should be and tolerances are far to lenient.

Sometimes insurers insist on a full engineers report for modified cars and this would go some way to ensure that everything has been safely done.

A lot depends on the extent of the mods done. Anything to do with braking and handling are pretty important IMO but exhausts, induction kits, cams and internal engine work are not that vital.

Re: Should modified cars be subject to a technical inspection before allowed on the r

I personally would not have a problem with any additional testing of my baby if it ever became mandatory. In fact taking into account the power that I have running and the huge range of modifications made to-date, it could actually serve to give one some piece of mind that all is ok ;)

Whilst I agree completely with keeping unsafe cars off the road checking modifications would IMHO prove unworkable - after all what is a mod

It certainly wouldnt be practicle to have every car inspected every time a mod was done
And an idiot can make a car unsafe by fitting standard parts as well which presumable wouldnt be included as not a mod.
A corgi type system would never work either. Where would you start and stop .... would you need it to change the windscreen wipers , a battery or a light bulb.

The MOT is supposed to make sure every car is safe once a year and it should check the whole car regardless of whether aftermarket parts have been fitted or not.

MOT only tests certain parts and is only a visual inspection.

My CV bolts, for example. If the car had been tested shortly after fitting the bolts would have looked fine. The tester wouldn't have checked that they were torqued correctly so the fault wouldn't have been picked up.

However, a proper IVA style test where any replaced/modified part is thoroughly checked would have found the loose bolts.

I

I do agree in principle but how far would you need to mod before a test was needed.

For a new project going on the road after major work test the car - absolutely , but I (and t9. claymore etc etc) mod ours car in stages

So when would our cars need to be checked

I was only asking if the principle was sound. As always, the devil is in the detail :)

As to when a car should be tested, the only way I can see is after each mod otherwise the system wouldn't work. This would be very expensive for serial modders like us.

However, if it was that or no modding allowed, I know where my vote would go.

I can happily agree with your last post 100%

I know this is a bit old but gradually reading all old posts so bear with me please.
In Oz the various states have their own rules and in Queensland we have a blue modification plate that has been engraved with the engineers and mod number info and is riveted to the body in the engine bay after it has been checked and passed by an approved engineer.I email my insurer details of every mod from stock and they post a new cover note with the mods listed as do not want to crash and have the policy cover declined due to mods.

In Ireland we've 2 tests one for commercials(no back seats) the DOE, and the NCT for personal cars.
Some mods won't pass the nct so people will remove the mod, do the test and put it back on later.
But all rally cars in Ireland are run on English plates as they'd have to pass the same tests and they wouldn't pass them.

Ps both tests are more than visual testing emissions, braking and suspension