should i shouldnt i ??

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
ive been playing around tinting my windows on gimp and im unsure whether i should or shouldnt do it

if i could do this 1 i would go for it straight away but sadly its illegal to do the front:(

so these are the options i could go for

dark smoke

medium smoke

or light smoke

what do members recon should i or does it not look right?

what about dark on the back window and rear quarters and medium on the sides, add a medium smoke sunstrip (fitted inside) which will help darken the rest of the inside.

that way your not going from a non tinted front window straight to a dark tinted window but having the rear and rear quarters done in dark smoke will keep the car dark all round

Light smoke looks good, if it were mine i'd take that option. darker looks good but it doesnt seem right to go from see-though on the front to black on the back. if youve got the skills to pull it off then 2fast's idea would be sweet. do it.

what about dark on the back window and rear quarters and medium on the sides, add a medium smoke sunstrip (fitted inside) which will help darken the rest of the inside.

that way your not going from a non tinted front window straight to a dark tinted window but having the rear and rear quarters done in dark smoke will keep the car dark all round

is this what you mean?

get ready to roll those front ones down when the police stroll by though as they dont look like 30% :D

from outside: no tint - 2 - medium tint - 2 dark tint
(have been pulled a couple of time as it looks asthough the fronts are tinted at night due to overall darkness inside the car - which is fun watching police trying to peel non existant tint off a window lol)

DSC_8382.jpg

inside: no tint - 2 - medium (can see a bit of the dark at the back)

DSC_8381.jpg

inside: medium - 2 -dark

DSC_8380.jpg

this is without a medium sunstrip (did have one till last weekend when i took it off to redo it)

fronts will be same as mine factory glass which has a 30% tint as standard which is why its illegal to tint them anymore. mine look darker cos the rest are tinted :)

well ive been doing some googleing and ive decided on a lightest smoke 70%
so basically i will be adding another 30% tint on to the rear windows
as you can see from the pics on this scooby it doesnt look to out of place and i pretty sure i will be happy :bigsmile:
sti-huper-optik.jpg

sti-cypress-tint.jpg

sti-cypress-tint2.jpg

and thanks to all for their suggestions!!!

My old Accord I had tints. Was put on by this guy who did all the dealership tinting and it was first class workmanship.

Had 5% on the back window, 20% on the rear side windows and 40% on the front side windows.

The side windows looked darker due to the back one being so dark but the fronts still passed a visual inspection by the coppers.

I'd never go limo tint though, looks muck.

My old Accord I had tints. Was put on by this guy who did all the dealership tinting and it was first class workmanship.

Had 5% on the back window, 20% on the rear side windows and 40% on the front side windows.

The side windows looked darker due to the back one being so dark but the fronts still passed a visual inspection by the coppers.

I'd never go limo tint though, looks muck.

5% is limo tint :p:lol:

i think i will be happy with the lightest smoke cause there wont be a major difference between the front and rear windows

and im going to do them myself and they will come out ok even if i have to redo them numerous times
nod.gif

Even if the cost of the materials comes to more than getting it done professionally? :p:lol:

Glad you've gone for the the light smoke I think the car will great (love that Scooby btw :love:). Can't wait to see the finished article, good luck!
good.gif

5% is limo tint :p:lol:

i think i will be happy with the lightest smoke cause there wont be a major difference between the front and rear windows

and im going to do them myself and they will come out ok even if i have to redo them numerous times
nod.gif

where are you getting tint from? please dont say halford as their tint is Shiiiiiiiiiit

you are better off paying the money to get it done proffesionally,it will be a better quality tint with a higher uv factor and will be done properly

if your doing it yourself do you know what wetting solution to use?
which way the tint goes (all tint has a sort of grain)?
how to heat/shrink it for the curves on the windows?
what tools are you going to use to for the job?

Even if the cost of the materials comes to more than getting it done professionally? :p:lol:

Glad you've gone for the the light smoke I think the car will great (love that Scooby btw :love:). Can't wait to see the finished article, good luck!
good.gif

materials cost £15 for 76cmx6m of the 70% lightest smoke tint film the price includes delivery and the necessary tools for the job so definitely gonna be cheaper than a professional job
and if i have to redo every window 10 times to get it perfect i will (just hope i dont have to! but im hoping my paper hanging skills come in handy:bigsmile:)

and those pics of the scoob where the reason im going ahead with this

where are you getting tint from? please dont say halford as their tint is Shiiiiiiiiiit

you are better off paying the money to get it done proffesionally,it will be a better quality tint with a higher uv factor and will be done properly

if your doing it yourself do you know what wetting solution to use?
which way the tint goes (all tint has a sort of grain)?
how to heat/shrink it for the curves on the windows?
what tools are you going to use to for the job?

im using good old ebay for the tint film

as for wetting solution ive previously just used warm water and washing up liquid it worked well for the sunstrips i have done

tbh i didnt know tint film had a grain but common sense tells me the grain would follow the operation of the window up/down(might be wrong please correct me if i am!!)

i dont think i would need to use a heat gun on my windows as the curves arent that great but if i do i have a heat gun and hair dryer at my disposal

and as for tools the kit comes with some but being a painter and decorator i have different sized spatchelors/squeegees, 2 different sized snap of knifes with plenty of spare blades, a spray bottle, a pin;)

2fast i will happily take any hints/tips you can give cause i know this is the sort of thing you do

dont use washing up liquid as its oil based and will never dry properly and will leave a smear effect between tint and glass.

all back windows need heat applied to the tint to shrink it to the corners

roll the film from side to side not top to bottom so the grain runs the right way :)

dont use washing up liquid as its oil based and will never dry properly and will leave a smear effect between tint and glass.

all back windows need heat applied to the tint to shrink it to the corners

roll the film from side to side not top to bottom so the grain runs the right way :)
cheers for the tips:bigsmile:

just curious what would you suggest as a wetting solution???

cheers for the tips:bigsmile:

just curious what would you suggest as a wetting solution???

Johnsons no more tears baby shampoo is the best thing to use, put a small amount in a bottle of water, dont shake it cos it will make too many bubbles, stir it to mix it,

baby shampoo is water based so will not leave a greasy film if a small amount is left by mistake between the film and the glass.

well my tint film arrived today and after work i decided to try it on 1 of the windows
i only had 2 small problems 1 was the spatchelor they sent me left marks on the film and i need to get my heat gun cause i got 2 little creases on the rear quarter that couldnt be smoothed out with just the spatchelor

but i wasnt happy with how the tint wasnt dark enough for my liking it doesnt look like its been done

its only when you go inside it looks slightly tinted

so i have asked 2 fast for a price on darker tints and a couple of samples to see exactly how dark i would like to go