Should all cars have internet access

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that it makes sense for all cars to be equipped with internet access?

Smart phones with sat nav are becomming the norm. It won't be far away when routes can be updated with traffic delays and route plans amended on the fly.

It is so handy having a smart phone so why don't manufacturers squeeze the tech from a very slim smart phone into a car radio? They can use a 12v power supply, and will benefit from a much larger screen.

Instead we have relatively thick ICE electronics that only perform basic functions and are not all that intuitive and easy to use!

I think PG was on the right track when he made his Carputer! One day all cars will be fitted with them!

There's some benefits to that: Like GPS tracking, if your car is connected to the web that would be possible. That way if you are out with friends you can always check that your car is where you left it.
Instead of having a car alarm you can have alerts sent to your phone if someone is trying to break into your car,

The car can schedule a service appointment by itself for when it needs service.

If you are in an accident it can contact the emergency services for you using VoIP, just in case you can't do so yourself. It could probably get in touch with the nearest internet enabled emergency vehicle (on standby) and get you help faster.

I can think of anymore, but I am sure that there are a lot of benefits that can arise from a web connected car.

Never, unless it is your wish.
If internet on your mobile is not enough then you have an iPad or Adroid.
Why would you want anything else such as 22'' screen and keyboard in your car.
There would be no fast cable attached to your car, so you will get same service what you get on your nokias iphones and ipads.
you will still have to pay for it or top it up as we do on our phones, so there would be no difference at all, unless some super technology will come up on the market, but we all know that UK is behind with internet speeds in Europe by a lot.
Would you like to have your car hacked by hackers, disable completely, on boards computer destroyed, huge bill to get it fixed, no.

Unless it is a show car, then yes or as I said if this is your wish, but it never should be a standard, this is a huge risk for consumers.

GPS is a different thing, the only bad thing about it is if Police forces get advanced technology which will send you a ticket if satellite reads your speed of lets say 90mph in 60mph zone, or all cars will have speed restriction for each speed zone so you wont go faster than zones speed limit IF you will have a GPS as standard open to the public and IF in current climate police will manage to get millions of pounds to install such a system, but then you will need another billions to get all cars equipped in such a device :)
;)

ive still to get the internet working on mine, was hoping that i could use the blackberry but it seems vodaphone are the issue that they wont allow it to use it as a link.

Marc who said about 22" screens ? i use a 7" touchscreen and an app on my phone to work a keyboard - shame its stopped working again. i built my carputer for about half the price of an ipod.
as for there being no difference there is you can run full web pages and not the half mobile versions that come on smartphones. the only problem being is the speed but as im limited to 7mb at home and 6mb on the phone in a high speed area then id be happy with that.

war - some have already starting doing that as using google maps for the gps and lattidute so people can see where you are

im most ways im happy that i went out and done the carputer. 400gb for music and videos. is way more than ever needed. the only things i would want changed would be for a more powerful low wattage processor the atom even at dual core is way too slow. and a super fast ssd for hibernation is out within a few seconds rather than 10

No. If they can monitor your e mails then how soon before they monitor your journeys.

internet in cars complete tosh

maybe Im a tad odd but i actually like driving. On occassions I've even been known to go out for a drive just because i wanted to .

So why would i want to have the internet in my car. Ive got it on my phone, my i pad . my laptop.....................

Besides which they will probably find a way to keep track of us through it and GPS or maybe they alrey have ?????

Last edited by a moderator:
internet in cars complete tosh

maybe Im a tad odd but i actually like driving. On occassions I've even been known to go out for a drive just because i wanted to .

So why would i want to have the internet in my car. Ive got it on my phone, my i pad . my laptop.....................

Besides which they will probably find a way to keep track of us through it and GPS or maybe they alrey have ?????

Cool a fellow sunday driver

^^ Not sure if "Sunday driver" was meant in that fashion sleeper, not with the monster you drive :wink:.....:smile:

Things like this --> Click for link -->

They're becoming increasing common nowadays.

Personally, the only thing I think they'd be good for is SatNav, and hopefully the stereo side of things would be good or at least good enough to add on your own sound system.

You might be sat waiting for her indoors one day, hop on Facebook, or check your emails. :lol:

I would definitely use the SatNav, as I use my phone, I don't have a stand alone nav system anymore.

Having GPS built in means you could keep track of your car on your mobile phone, I've seen Android alarms too with that kind of set up.

I was reading up on the new Rolls Royce Wraith, actually I was lusting after it :embarrest:

Did you know that it has the worlds most advanced voice recognition system, so many things inside the car can be turned on, off or adjusted by voice alone. It also has the ability to change your gears for you automatically depending on your speed the road and terrain that you are actually driving on and this is all done by your car being tracked via GPS in relation to the latest road maps :amazed:

What ever next?

I was reading up on the new Rolls Royce Wraith, actually I was lusting after it :embarrest:

Did you know that it has the worlds most advanced voice recognition system, so many things inside the car can be turned on, off or adjusted by voice alone. It also has the ability to change your gears for you automatically depending on your speed the road and terrain that you are actually driving on and this is all done by your car being tracked via GPS in relation to the latest road maps :amazed:

What ever next?

Can you buy one with that disabled?
Not that I can afford one!

Can you buy one with that disabled?
Not that I can afford one!

I should imagine so although the write up does not go into great detail. If the lotto ever comes up for me, I will be camped outside H.R. Owen in Mayfair's Berkley Square waiting for the doors to open while clutching my bankers draft - I won't even bother haggling :lol:

I should imagine so although the write up does not go into great detail. If the lotto ever comes up for me, I will be camped outside H.R. Owen in Mayfair's Berkley Square waiting for the doors to open while clutching my bankers draft - I won't even bother haggling :lol:

Best of luck with the lottery then!!:bigsmile:
If I had the money to buy one of these I would expect it to be delivered!:lol:

Best of luck with the lottery then!!:bigsmile:
If I had the money to buy one of these I would expect it to be delivered!:lol:

:lol: That's a good point buddy, it would be more of a kick to have it delivered to me at work in front of the clients so that everyone can see the new baby :bigsmile: