shogun noise

matrix406

Torque Junkie
Car
pug 406
i have a noise coming from the engine. it started after the water hose went bang. its chucking out loads of smoke when i think the turbo kicks in but it does sound like a bag of nails when you put foot alway to floor fast

When was it last serviced? Did it overheat when the water hose went? Do oil levels drop much?

Good to hear from you, how's it going? Still got the vinyls on your car then?

is the turbo water cooled as well as oil cooled ?
chucking out smoke - a bluely grey colour - when flooring it usually means the turbo seals are away - could have been caused by it overheating if it is water cooled as well,

not got a clue as i've just got it on my drive. looking at the turbo tomorrow well taking hose off it an feeling the play. its the shogun import if its the 2.5tdi if that helps

yes still got them on the car. cars taken a back step for now as i've been working so much and been model boat racing to. there not enough hrs in the day at min

is not a good sign is a water pipe bursts there is always a reason they go
and the pajeros suffer with head problems

have had a few in with the gasket gone and we always change the head with it

but check the water pump or one of the tappets could be them

also just read your post again and sounds like it could be the turbo they make loads of niose and loads of smoke have done a few of them as well

there is a place in detlin maidstone that sells 2nd mitsy parts cheap ish or ebay

the reason i thought it was the turbo because it dosen't have any pull when you hit the throtle were it should do and all it does is spill loads of blk/grey smoke out the back (like desiels do) and makes a racket till you lift off. there are no sigin of head gasket going. no milk in oil or oil in water. the guy said it was the head but im not conviced really.
i did here that the 2.5d suffered with turbos.

lutonmatt do you know if the turbo is water an oil cooled or just oil

done my checks on the car. i have made a mistake the turbo has a small amount of play but i think thats fine. the noise is coming from the engine itself could it be when hitting the gas there is not enough oil getting to the top of the engine there for making the tappets sound really bad. but if you bring the revs up normally its fine. could i be getting close. is it worth looking into it anymore to fix it or just strip it and weigh it in.

the turbo will be oil cooled

if it sounds ok if you rev ok slowly it could be a loose lifter/tappet
sometimes new oil can help this other times dont do anything

might be worth taking the intercooler off and wipping the rocker cover off just to have a look in side to see if there is anything really loose that you can see

hopefully there will be butt....................... you never know.lol
if not i'll prob just strip it down and sell the bits and get my money back on it

unless anyone can think of anything else it could be

Last edited:
is one of them things if i could hear it might be able to say something else

i would say i would pop down and have a look but my landrover is falling apart the front wheel bearing has fallen apart not one bearing left in there lol
and cos of that has damaged the stub axle

so have to do all that and teh front prop shaft before i can use it again

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back