Setting up your mirrors.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you setup your car mirrors - particularly the exterior ones?

Talking with people I would say most set them so they see a bit of their car in the mirror.

Surely it is safer to set the mirror up to just outside the view of the car so you get a wider view of the cars behind.

Do you have a blindspot mirror? How big is your blindspot - it is worth checking the blindspot as it can be quite big (this is why I always turn my head when moving out/joining rather than rely on the mirror.)

In Malaysia,when you are sitting for your driving test, its a must to turn your head to see the blindspot.If not,automatically consider fail.

do mine so i can see a little bit of the back wings and that it
as for blind spots the hole of the back lol

the rear pillers are big and you cant see any thing

I prefer to see a bit of bodywork as a reference point. Most cars have electric mirrors now so adjusting them is straightfoward. What I would like is to have the mirror positions so that they adjust relative to driver's seat position.

thats just being lazy hdi :p, automatically adjusting of the mirrors, slacker return spring on the gas pedel, whats next, one finger steering :blink: oh wait, you can do that with power steering.
back on topic. i like to have a bit of the back of the car too see.... dont know why just like to see a bit of the car for a point of reference.

I prefer to see a bit of rear wings for reference & have blind spot mirrors on both wing mirrors, & use a panoramic rear view mirror.
I think I cover main blind spots with these, but always check over right shoulder before pulling away.

Chris.. :blink1:

I have mine set up to see what's behind me and to the side of me! Instead of auto adjusting mirrors, how about monitors that show you everything no matter where you sit!

Mines move when I jump in, and I have a few stored positions. I think its for multiple drivers, but I set them to sports -really close to the wheel, normal, and practically lying down for those long journey's. Each time the seat moves, so do the mirrors. And the passenger side one tilts down to view the rear wheel when I select reverse.

If I have a blind spot, then I haven't found it, the mirrors are huge- as are the windows, but I always look over anyway.

Thats a bit flash Gangsta - a good idea.

My wing mirrors make cars look closer and the rear view mirror makes them look further away - does anyone else get this?

I feel cumfortable when i can see a bit of the car in my wing mirrors, just dusnt feel right wen i can only see wider than my car (dunno Y)

setup so i can see the edges of the car, along with the nearside slightly more downwards facing for parking.

agree with chris my interior makes itlook closer. when i first got the car i was hitting the brakes as i thought cars were much closer than they were

You right - I got it wrong! The interior mirror enlarges and the exterior makes it all smaller!

My drivers mirror is set up so I can see an overtaking car in my periphery vision just as it dissapears from the mirrors blindspot. I can only see a small part of my rear arch in the mirror.

I get in some friends cars and they have half thier car visible in their mirror which kind of defeats the point of having a mirror in the first place.

Well, I can just about remember what my driving instructor said during my lessons and pass plus evaluation, as well as what was said on the course I took with IAM.

The rearview mirror should be set up so you can see the edge of your left ear when you look directly into it and the wing mirrors should be set up so you can see part of the car.

If you need to see anything in the blindspots you need to turn your head and look out the side windows! I can't see that its a bad idea to use "blindspot mirrors" so long as you check before committing to a manouvre.