setting up a dragstrip

Greg160

Wrench Pro
Car
datsun 160j sss
Hey everyone.Im looking into ways of setting up a dragstrip around here to keep reckless driving off the road.I have no idea about any details or work involved so i would really appreciate all the help i can get.Please send me links&pictures of the strips and baisicly anything on the subject.Thanks alot.

its a lot more involved than it appears , i would steer you toward seeking out local motor sport groups and investigate what is already available / proposed or currently in progress . Accreditation / certification for motor complex facilities is difficult to obtain and requires a close working relationship with the relevant local and sporting authorities sometimes on a goverment level. i am sure that if you can raise enough interest , you should be able to gain access to an existing facility that you negotiate the use off .
good luck

Currently there are no dragstrips around and i dont see any signs of construction of one in the near future.I want to write up a paper with my proposals for the setting up of one.

although i think you have a good idea for taking the reckless driving off the streets i personally think no matter what you do there are always going to be idiots who will still do it.

you will have to charge for people to use the area to cover your insurance, setting up costs etc, so said idiots will automatically think 'why should i pay to use that place when the roads are free' then there will be plenty of public/residents of area rejection of whereever you plan on doing it.

sorry dont mean to be negative i just think when it comes to trying to deal with people who disrespect the law and public safety out on the roads nothing is going to change their mentality or make them use an area where they are 'allowed' to be to a certain extent 'idiots behind the wheel'

if you are 100% serious though then talk to your local business link (if you have one - or other 'business setting up place' they should beable to tell you everything you need to know or at least point you in the right direction in regards to planning permission, grants/funding, costs of such a place.

again sorry for overall negativity and good luck in finding all the information you need :)

The Motor Sport Association is your first port of call. You'll need a place to do it, some timing equipment, safety marshalls and gulp indemnity and liability insurance.

Alternatively - find a local track and ask them if you can hire it for quarter mile runs for the day.

have to agree with 2fast on this one. by creating a legal place to race you will get the small percentage of drivers who only use the roads due to no alternatives off the streets, but a large percentage see the roads as thier playground and even if it was free would still go out on the roads for the thrill of it. also to use a track they would have to do planning ahead of the time so insure that there wasn't an event already in progress and most would still do the roll up races/spontaneous ones.

there is an old ww2 bomer airstrip near me.

they used partof it to build the set for the film " hope and Glory"

its nice and long.

if you have seen it. in the fast and the furious (the first one) they held race wars on an old airfield. they tend to be pretty flat and long. depending on the owner and history you may be able to pick one up pretty cheap with the help of a few investors.

if you have seen it. in the fast and the furious (the first one) they held race wars on an old airfield. they tend to be pretty flat and long. depending on the owner and history you may be able to pick one up pretty cheap with the help of a few investors.

North Weald in Essex is exactly that. Although it is still a working airfield the drag racing and sprint events take place on an unused section.

i have seen the film.I will try and look for an old airstrip but i dont think it will be very promising.Im looking to set it up near the city as this is where all the guys with done up cars are.There very very very few people in the countryside who are into raceing or have a car that can race.could anyone give me a general layout of a drag strip?

If you have never been to Santa Pod it is worth going there to see the layout. You need the burnout zone, staging area, 1/4 mile straight and a good run off area after this. Plus the cars shouldn't be too close together either and will preferably have a barrier in the center near the launch area and either side to protect spectators.

Even if you could afford the set up costs, the insurances, the cost of having on site emergency services, a place to do it etc etc, you still have the biggest battle ahead, local councils planning application. You would be beaten down via noise pollution, local residents [yes, even within miles] and basic bureaucracy. Even established venues are having problems nowadays.
I honestly wish you luck but i fear that modern trends of hatred towards cars, induced by the overwhelming mutterings of the minorities would be your biggest stumbling block, if not the finances.
As suggested below, it may be better to find a local motorsport club, there are more than you might think, and see what they have to offer.
I admire your plan to try to do something about the idiots on the roads but ultimately, they will be idiots wherever they are given somewhere to drive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back