Servicing my car

allsystems

Wrench Pro
Car
civic 1.6 ivtec 200
So its been a while since my car was serviced. Im gonna do some mods to it mainly induction kit and cold air feed,il use something to flush the engine and also clean the air intake before i place the new filter. Just want to ask what do I need for a new service,I need oil right,how do I check which is best for me and is racing oil any better,i need fuel filter,oil filter,spark plugs,i think brake pads are ok,is there anything else you can suggest,let me know,thanks?

Just give it a good oil change - mine uses 10 40, which is prob what yours uses - change spark plugs and all should be good

full service I'd do oil, air, fuel filters, plus plugs and you could change the cabin pollen filter too if you're feeling keen. For oil get a good quality fully synth.

Also check things like gearbox oil or auto box fluid level, shocks for leakage, door and boot hinges for freedom of movement, plus check coolant level and colour of fluid, change it if its not been done for a while.

Whenever I do my service I just pop round to CPA (car parts & accessories) and give them my reg number and say what level service I'm doing nor get the whole package for bout £30

sounds like theyre using cheap oil and brake pads then mate,
decent oil alone will cost around that - stuff i used to use was close to £50 for the 5ltrs

dont bother with the engine flush unless it has been a very long time since your last service. take the car for a nice long run and dump the oil while its still hot as itll be thinner than when its cold.

if its been over 2 years since coolant has been changed change it and the brake fluid as well.

brake pads - depends on what your driving like, my preference is DS2500 pads but they do come at a premium. Pads from motorfactors will be good enough if your a calm driver lol ( all road legal pads fall under a ruling that they must be within +- 15% of the OEM quality )

fuel filter doesnt reqquire changing everytime. every 60k will be more than enough most are now for life filters

sounds like theyre using cheap oil and brake pads then mate,
decent oil alone will cost around that - stuff i used to use was close to £50 for the 5ltrs

x2. See my project thread (link available in signature) to see what I used and how easy it was to change the oil (it was the first time I'd done it).

Give forum sponsor Opie Oils a call. They'll sort you out (15% off as a TC member!). They can also supply spark plugs (again see my project thread).

I'd just add a caution about cheap pads, I used them a while back on the bora, got them off ebay, and yes, they stopped the car fine but they would squeak even when not braking and squeal like a pig when braking. I had to change them for a decent set of feredo ones.

On top of what has already been said, Id give your door hinges some lube. Make sure they stay lose. Check the tyre pressure in the spare tyre. Check all lights. And thats about it. :D Job done.

A man after my own heart. Whenever I get a new car and regualrly after I oil all the hinges and bonnet/boot struts. I even put a small spray of oil into the locking mechanisms

Blimey I never gave any of this a single thought :embarrest: I'll get me coat and sort this out now!