Semi-Auto Gearboxes

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
All,

What is your view on these?

Would you recommend them for a new driver and a young one?

Is there any cheap, olders ones that you feel are good quality?

Finally (and sorry for all the questions!) but is there a way to mod a manual or fully-auto into a semi-auto?

I am refuring to the paddles and not the push pull gearbox.

Thanks,

Corey.

Last edited:
Don't even consider modifying a gearbox.

Semi autos are great - whether you choose to drive it as a clutchless manual or let the ECU make all the decisions for you it's a great way to drive.

They are getting more popular and over time might well become the norm.

With the option to leave in fully automatic mode or drive as a clutchless manual will probably also see the demise of the traditional (and wateful) hydraulic automatic gearbox.

what sort of car you looking for

i dont like most of these semi autos due to them being a normal manual box just with the ecu doing all the work
i think they change so slow and are bad to drive worst ones for me are the corsa's

if you want a auto go fully auto just stick it in d and go and pay more attation to the road

what sort of car you looking for

i dont like most of these semi autos due to them being a normal manual box just with the ecu doing all the work
i think they change so slow and are bad to drive worst ones for me are the corsa's

if you want a auto go fully auto just stick it in d and go and pay more attation to the road

Agree mostly - but you're taste is 7 litre V8 engines where two gears would suffice :)

Not so far away from mine, I agree, but with modest engines the hydraulic pumping losses can really impact upon fuel usage and performance.

I have to say the twin-clutch flappy paddle semi/auto on the R36 is fantastic and I wouldn't go back to a traditional auto or manual unless I had to.

I have to say the twin-clutch flappy paddle semi/auto on the R36 is fantastic and I wouldn't go back to a traditional auto or manual unless I had to.

I totally agree - having the choice of auto or manual gear selection is the way to proceed. In either case there is no clutch to bother with so the driver has the best of all worlds.

I totally agree - having the choice of auto or manual gear selection is the way to proceed. In either case there is no clutch to bother with so the driver has the best of all worlds.

Yup. I tend to let it do 'Auto' around town as its quite happy to keep going 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,3,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,3,2,3,2,3,1 etc!! to maximise fuel economy - whereas I would go mad doing this even with a manual stick.

Second I get on the open road - paddles all the way.

You get the other benefit of having automated clutches over a traditional t/c auto - launch control :D (See my vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJnhzwZhCdU)

... and of course, auto throttle blipping on the down-shift just makes me feel like a big kid playing F1 games on the Playstation!!

I've had a look at Citroen's current web site. The highest specced C2 is a 1.6 litre, 125bhp petrol unit. Sadly no paddle shift.

As much as it's perfectly possible for me to have imagined it, I just looked it up and it's the C2 VTR. Guessing you looked at the VTS.

will say the c2's are better then the corsa's the change fills better but not much better

but agree with you there hdi about the v8's had a auto in my mark 5 prelude 2.0 that was a great car fast and great auto box
and then the rest have been in v8's