selling cars in layby

gummy

Torque Master
Car
skyline r34 gtt
There is a layby at the back of our house,there has been a bmw and a mondeo parked there for sale with price and mobile number,last night i saw a guy buy the mondeo at the roadside.

My opinion of this is its a silly thing to do as if you have any probs you only have a phone number,these cars are probably got at auctions and sold on,so the address on v5 will be previous owner,not the seller.

What is the general opinion of other forum members of this type of car selling?.

I have bought cars first seen at the roadside will always go back to their home address on the registration doc to make the transaction.

There were loads in Weymouth, I called the mobile number on one and it was a foreign chap who was in London (3 hours away at least) I got thinking, maybe they have cars in every town? I havn't seen any cars in this place for a while now so I guess someone put the stoppers on it

To make such a purchase under those conditions would never even occur to me!
I think your just asking for trouble.

Never! I wouldn't even agree to meet someone to view a car away from their property, always at their home address and check the V5 to ensure registered keeper and address matched. Anyone who buys this way is a fool, if they are dumb enough to buy a car they are dumb enough not to check its history. You could be buying a dodgy one that's a cat C or D and not noted, may even be outstanding credit owed or stolen, cloned etc.

I think once you have paid for a used car unless it's from a reputable garage you are on your own. Try giving a Car back or suing. It just isn't going to happen. Buying a used Car is buying somebody else's problem.

my dad has bought 3 cars from a layby and my great uncle has bought god knows how many and they were all good cars, all ran perfectly well, my gt uncle bought a honda accord aerodeck 20ltr estate for £275 and several other cars for similar prices! they never had a problem with any of them.

my dad has bought 3 cars from a layby and my great uncle has bought god knows how many and they were all good cars, all ran perfectly well, my gt uncle bought a honda accord aerodeck 20ltr estate for £275 and several other cars for similar prices! they never had a problem with any of them.

OK, so none of your family thought just a minute! this chaps selling 'HIS?' car and we can't go to his house, flat, maisonette, bungalow, cottage, barn conversion to view it, but yet he gives us directions to a layby via a Sat Nav direction, ordnance survey grid reference or a text! I must say that is extremely daring!

they only bought from adverts with house numbers, and only bought cars seen on the layby

:blink: I'm not having a go at you or your family LP! If this method works for you and your family and you have had success with it then ruddy marvellous! Its just not for me and the last time I looked I was entitled to my opinion ;)

May you continue to be both fortunate and lucky my friend :)

i won't buy as i've had mates burnt by layby cars, i bought a pretty knackered capri when i was 17 for £350, i put about £500 into it and sold it for about £1500 so made a profit lol that's the only luck i've had with layby cars lol

He,s got a van parked there now with a cars for sale trailorboard!surely the council will move it on sooner or later!

always buy from as reputable outlet as you can, be it a private seller or a trade deal. Genuine sellers will have no issues with having paperwork validated, talking about history and service etc. A test drive is a sure fire way to determine for yourself in the end. Always start the car from a cold start, as if there are any problems, you'll see soon enough what's what. That's how I've always tried to do it, and it's worked for me like that just fine. :eek:

always buy from as reputable outlet as you can, be it a private seller or a trade deal. Genuine sellers will have no issues with having paperwork validated, talking about history and service etc. A test drive is a sure fire way to determine for yourself in the end. Always start the car from a cold start, as if there are any problems, you'll see soon enough what's what. That's how I've always tried to do it, and it's worked for me like that just fine. :eek:

Good advice! ;)

we had a neighbor who bought a saxo vts off ebay but had an engine swap, turned out the engine was stolen! my dad bought a car from auto trader and it broke down half way home lol

I would say it depends at what level of the market we are talking about, sub £500 cars I'm quite happy to buy from anywhere, as long as it's got a long mot and a bit of rent.

I've bought so many knackered cars that now I rarely check them over before I buy, I didn't even test drive the last 3 & they turned out fine.

I think the behavior of the seller is the biggest tell! You can always tell when your buying someone's pride & joy.

Question them, again & again & about everything & then question their answers. Then offer them an unusually low price & gauge their reaction.

I don't have a problem with people doing this sort of thing. Anybody looking to buy them should have the gumption to be cautious anyway.