Self driving cars - the future

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think we'll ever end up with self driving cars?

We have lane control, auto braking, anti skid, anti roll back, ABS and various other driver aids and the tech is not that far away from providing GPS based navigation and auto driving systems using an array of sensors.

Do you reckon this will ever take off? Would you consider owning an auto driving car?

There are already a few auto cars. Granted they have been adapted to work but it shows it is possible.
Didn't they try this years ago for the motorways but abandoned it because no one would dare to risk it.

The biggest issue for me would be the cost of setting up all the sensors for the car to know what lane it is in and even if it is on a road. If they can do that, then also have to wonder about the seldom used roads (unpaved sorts) and how they would let the driver know that he needs to go back to driving in an non-sensor section. But make sure I still have the option to drive myself if and when I feel like it and I wouldn't mind it. Be a ton better than the idiots that turn on cruise control in caravans and then try to make themselves a sandwich in the back. Had one of them here in the states. Sued the manufacturer and won a new one plus all costs associated with the wreck???

Unbelievable!
The biggest issue for me would be the cost of setting up all the sensors for the car to know what lane it is in and even if it is on a road. If they can do that, then also have to wonder about the seldom used roads (unpaved sorts) and how they would let the driver know that he needs to go back to driving in an non-sensor section. But make sure I still have the option to drive myself if and when I feel like it and I wouldn't mind it. Be a ton better than the idiots that turn on cruise control in caravans and then try to make themselves a sandwich in the back. Had one of them here in the states. Sued the manufacturer and won a new one plus all costs associated with the wreck???

He won due to his lawyer using the argument that the instruction manual didn't state that you couldn't set it then leave the seat on a straight stretch of road.

But back on topic. I wouldn't mind testing it out as long as I could override it as said before. Most likely would start on closed courses then build up slowly from there to going to work big city stuff.

One question though. If you have the autodrive on and get in a wreck, who pays?

I'm strictly against all driver aids, they take out the fun of driving. And auto-driving!! How the hell will guys like me enjoy the pure pleasure of driving :(:(

On a serious note, these aids are good most of the time but nothing is better than a self-thinking, self deciding Homo Sapien ;), not even your AI computers, they're bound to have troubles and get you in deep trouble and then you are the one affected :(, a good excuse for the guys who are accident prone though, "The car did it!!":lol::lol:

They almost do drive themselves now. Driving is really just controlling passenger-ing now. Driving skills amount to observation and planning now - these are also the two most important skills.

I disagree with Mechkween - how does he plan to operate the brake on each wheel independently without ABS to wrest control in such situations?

Most stability systems will not intervene until you're really do start encroaching upon the limits for the vehicle/conditions.

I even think auto wipers, lights, auto dipping mirrors etc. are all worthy systems.

Last edited:
They almost do drive themselves now. Driving is really just controlling passenger-ing now. Driving skills amount to observation and planning now - these are also the two most important skills.

I disagree with Mechkween - how does he plan to operate the brake on each wheel independently without ABS to wrest control in such situations?

Most stability systems will not intervene until you're really do start encroaching upon the limits for the vehicle/conditions.

I even think auto wipers, lights, auto dipping mirrors etc. are all worthy systems.
Well, you can drive pretty well enough without ABS, if you're not talking of on the limit driving. And that's where the emphasis lies, how you encroach the limits, drive well, and safe and you'll do just fine without those aids. But honestly, they're a part of our life and we do depend on it ,whatever i say:)

Well, you can drive pretty well enough without ABS, if you're not talking of on the limit driving. And that's where the emphasis lies, how you encroach the limits, drive well, and safe and you'll do just fine without those aids. But honestly, they're a part of our life and we do depend on it ,whatever i say:)

I think what you're saying is that if we drive within the limits (and the limits of modern cars, well maintained, and with good tyres) are incredibly high. Therefore such aids should not be necessary. Which is fair enough.

But I still like having them all there for that once in several years I might make a slight error of judgement.

I think what you're saying is that if we drive within the limits (and the limits of modern cars, well maintained, and with good tyres) are incredibly high. Therefore such aids should not be necessary. Which is fair enough.

But I still like having them all there for that once in several years I might make a slight error of judgement.

That's what i added in the end, these aids are a part of our life now, in case we make a error

Personally I think most of the aids out there protect other drivers from the idiots. Like the auto braking systems and auto parking ones. Keeps me from getting bumped into most of the time because some dummy doesn't know how to judge the distance.