Scottish Invasion (of France)

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
So, over breakfast on wednesday morning my flatmate asked what i wanted to do this Saturday. I was thinking cinema, dinner, cocktails, usual saturday stuff. She suggested France. So I am off to France. :cheesy:

Now, I've got photo copies of car registration, insurance (also cover for France), and driving licenses. A first aid kit, torch, tow rope, fire extinguisher, spare bulb / fuse kit, headlight convertor and high-vis jacket and spare water (prone to overheating). Is there anything else I legally need before going froggy side?

I wanted to keep going to Italy (better wine) or Germany. But alas, my flatmate being female has common sense so for a day trip staying in northern france. French women though are uber sexy, remember that clio advert with the french / british couple. She could climb my eiffel tower any day.:love:

Dont forget the passports! :eek: THink you'll need a warning triangle as well and it might be a high vis jacket for each passenger. KEEP THE HI VIS JACKET in the car and put it on BEFORE YOU GET OUT if the police stop you. Failure to do so can result in a fine! ;)

Who are you sailing with?

The beer is cheaper from around St Omer down. The further inland you go the better. Bererac Red wine is pretty good for 2002 and 2004.

Who are you sailing with? Don't forget to drive on the other side of the road :):) The French police are pretty hot on speeding tourists so stay to the limits and you will be fine.

Caution on roundabouts - you don't always have right of way when you are on them particularly in town.

Enjoy the really smooth roads, you will notice no tyre noise and actually get to hear your engine - this takes a while to get used to.

Essential Phrases
Bonjour - Hi Mate
Jai Voudrais une beer sil voous plait - Beer please
Ou et les Toilettes - Where the loo?

:lol: oh aye the passports, that would have been embarrassing. Warning triangle? This is getting expensive, ill just get one of my flatmates to jump around waving her arms 45 yards behind the car. I can just see me getting out and putting the high vis on and me landing a fine! Would be my luck, then the scottish bit would come out of me and tell the polis to stop being a french woopsie.

you seem, clued up on your wine. i know nothing of french but i can recommend a few italian; amarone della vallipolicelli and baralo come to mind, mmmmmm

not looking forward to french round abouts :confused:

yeah, decent roads will be a change, dont know what we pay road tax here for (but i can make a guess!)

like your phrase book. though need some phrases to chat up the madmosielles. (thankfully i dont need to spell that)

Thats about all I know about wine ;) I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

How did the weekend go then?

hey, thanks for asking. yeah it was good, was a bit delayed getting the train over but not too bad. You were so right, the roads are unbelievably smooth, it felt like having baby oil rubbed into my bottom it was that smooth. and thats with ultralow profiles.

driving on the right was a new experience for me, quite good fun but had to keep your wits. the only time i got confused was reversing out of car park spaces! Going round roundabouts the wrong way is so weird! and indicating right to come off them is quite strange as well.

and yes, being scottish i spent far too much money on wine! o and the french women, o la la :love:

Lets hope your G.friend doesn't read this. I'm a little concerned about you using baby oil on your bottom :eek: but nuff said about that - this is a family friendly site:lol:

Try it in a left hand drive hire car for total disorientation. They could at least have moved the gearstick over to the left but alas not.

The question now is why are our roads so terrible?

(Anyone else wanting to go to France for a short break I would recommend www.shortbreakmarket.co.uk and www.trainhols.com - its well worth doing if only for the cheaper booze and fuel.)

The question now is why are our roads so terrible?

because the local ple..counsel's are so damn lazy and money pinching that they will let them get to a state where you can loose an entire wheel in a pothole and then just fill it up.

i never used to think about pot holes or man holes that are sunk like.. upto 2-3 inches below the road level but now i am starting up on a bike i realised, they are a killer on bikes, have to be a lot more aware than in a car.
.......... I'm going to stop there before i get a huge rant on :confused: