Save weight dump the gear box

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
Save weight dump the gear box

As the project is about removing as much weight as possable.

(No Gearbox) that's a lot for weight, including clutch, flywheel, gear stick assy, comes in at 65kg's 2 x = 130kg's . That would feel like an extra 26hp . Plus will also free up whp as no more gearbox losses, would end up giving back around 30hp for both boxes.Plus the 26 = 56bhp bonus or there about.

Going along the lines of just 1 gear only. A home made centrifugal clutch and using some thing like a vans rear brake drum. will up date as and when.

Feel i need a bigger chlange as this would be.

Ummm sounds pretty mad and would probably make motorway journeys impossible. you would also loose a lot of power due to having no gear ratio's.

What im thinking of doing is iet it up for hill climebing over 1/4 mile , 1/2 mile

Last edited:
If i'm honest this won't work well. To get any sort of top end you are going to loose alot of acceleration so it would take ages to reach any sort of speed.

Not to worred about top end, my rover 200 is my road car and she pulls in 2nd off with ease so hopefully two engines with a lot more torque and hp should help it a lot more . Its a sucket and see project

Last edited:
Even with 2 engines to get any sort of acceleration from one gear is going to be difficult unless you have a top speed of say 40mph. I just don't see this working TBH. But I hope you all the best and I hope you can prove me wrong.

Good luck. I think you're bonkers but you might just stumble upon something along the way.

After all, look at antibiotic medicines. Who would ever have considered eating mouldy bread?

Rgds,

P.

Good luck. I think you're bonkers but you might just stumble upon something along the way.

After all, look at antibiotic medicines. Who would ever have considered eating mouldy bread?

Rgds,

P.
I am bonkers but that is haft the fun taking risks going the extra mile. And i agree something may come out of this project

Rgds,

P.

got the bell housing down from 7.9 kgs to under 1.5 kg anyway about stumbling upon something i think i have all ready can't say a lot but will solve two problems that no one does any thing about but there is a market for it . Have started building up gear box now so far 7.9 kg;s but will go up hope to keep under 15 kg's but can't see it.

Last edited:
2 engines? geared direct to the wheel?

if 2 engines , after losing the original gearbox, then it's like you've add another gearbox(weight)..
aint sure with the weight comparison of engine & gearbox.

isn't it better to change the body(stripping the weight- transform to a rover buggy:lol:) rather than the internals of the transmission?