Santa pod quarter mile times

unreal1066

Car
1994 Toyota MR2
I was at Santa pod today at Japshow. I ran my 1994 MR2 N/A down it and got a 16.89s at 84mph. I am impressed with this as it was my first ever go down a drag but at the same time a bit disapointed. What times did you all get MR2 or other toyota's.

Hi.

My software shows a 1991 NA model doing 16.53/83mph, so your are pretty much on the money. Good run.

My mate who I raced against has a simular age civic with I think a 1.6L. He has stripped it out with a straight decat pipe and he reguarly got 15s with a smaller engine.

How come the MR2 with a 2L doesn't do better. Surely being mid-engine it has better weight distribution and rear wheel drive it would have the advantage or is it that honda's engineers have done a better job with N/A VTEC engines.

Mainly due to the fact that his car is around 200Kg lighter to start with! In standard trim he should run around 16.32/87. If he has removed around 100Kg he will be into the 15s

The BHP is around the same but he has more torque.

Is it the AWD auto or 6 speed manual model?
What year?
Have you made any performance mods?

its a 1998 v70r 2wd manual was 250bhp as standard now around 330est. A standard v70r will do it in 15.7@88mph mine has these mods and will do low 14's now

HLM 310 remap
Td04-19t turbo upgrade
Lowered 35mm
235/35/19' tyres with anthracite pegasus "R" wheels
LED black side repeaters
Black mesh grill with "R" emblem
Blacked out windows
Group a cosworth pipercross inducton kit
Forge dump valve
Forge unos boost controller
Silicone hoses
Uprated blue injectors
Reverse intercooler pipework
Powerflow exhaust system
De-catted
Limited slip differential
Powerflex engine mount
Drilled and grooved brake discs all round with c/coded calipers
HID upgrade headlights
Strut brace

nvolvov70r.jpg

Last edited:
About right. My software is telling me 15.6secs @91mph for the standard car.

Aassuming 330bhp and 300 lb/ft I'm getting 14.34 secs @ 98.4mph for your beast.

Nice semi-sleeper by the way.

You are nicely situated, I see :)

Last edited:
About right. My software is telling me 15.6secs @91mph for the standard car.

Aassuming 330bhp and 300 lb/ft I'm getting 14.34 secs @ 98.4mph for your beast.

Nice semi-sleeper by the way.

You are nicely situated, I see :)

yeah cheers mate, torque is way more than that though, on my last rolling road when it had the smaller turbo it produced 335lb ft torque, launching these is very difficult being fwd and all that power and torque. your software is quite accurate as i got a 15.668@ 91mph

Interesting. Upping the torque to 330 results in a slower time!

14.43secs @ 97mph

Looking at the data this seems to be due to more wheelspin off the line.

Interesting. Upping the torque to 330 results in a slower time!

14.43secs @ 97mph

Looking at the data this seems to be due to more wheelspin off the line.

lol too much wheelspin, i got a 14.6@100mph with a 2.5 60ft, i can and have got a 2.2 60ft with this car but when i had a smaller turbo on so theoretically a 14.3 is easily attainable if not more. my mate has a similar car but with a better map running 320bhp and he got a 13.7@106mph with a 2.3 60ft

Last edited:
I did two runs at japshow both far from perfect

Ran 13.51 and 13.43 with termimal speed of 109 and 108

Missed 2nd in first run with a reaction of over 1 second ( must remember to watch the lights not the other car)
Still beat a scooby wrxsti by 0.3 much to his horror.

Second run forgot to switch back to high boost (ran 1.3 instead of 1.56 ) after I got carried away on the handling circuit much to the amusement of the spectators
Unfortunately this ***ed up the launch control start but got a 13.46 with a .743 reaction time .
Ive managed better ( just under .4) and have run a 13.09 before the launch control was fitted so on high boost I hope to be in the 12s as I am sure the cars capable . Its just that at the moment Im not !
OG you told me what a novice would add to the time - whats the addition for a complete plonker driving ?

seriously this timed 1/4 lark really isnt as easy as you would think but I will get there sooner or later - almost certainly quite a bit later

Last edited:
I did two runs at japshow both far from perfect

Ran 13.51 and 13.43 with termimal speed of 109 and 108

Missed 2nd in first run with a reaction of over 1 second ( must remember to watch the lights not the other car)
Still beat a scooby wrxsti by 0.3 much to his horror.

Second run forgot to switch back to high boost (ran 1.3 instead of 1.56 ) after I got carried away on the handling circuit much to the amusement of the spectators
Unfortunately this ***ed up the launch control start but got a 13.46 with a .743 reaction time .
Ive managed better ( just under .4) and have run a 13.09 before the launch control was fitted so on high boost I hope to be in the 12s as I am sure the cars capable . Its just that at the moment Im not !
OG you told me what a novice would add to the time - whats the addition for a complete plonker driving ?

seriously this timed 1/4 lark really isnt as easy as you would think but I will get there sooner or later - almost certainly quite a bit later

With a compete plonker behind the wheel the sky's the limit :)

Drag racing isn't as simple or easy as anyone who has not tried it thinks it is. It is certainly nothing like what is portrayed on F&F.

A tip. When looking for the best elapsed time, forget about reaction times as these have no bearing on the ET. Concentrate on getting the best launch and quickest 60' time as this is the most important part of the 1/4 mile. Reaction times are only important when racing the car in the other lane but still come second to a good launch. No point in achieving a perfect reaction time and then bogging down or spinning wheels!

12s should be easily achievable, keep us informed. After 12s the next second will be a challenge on road tyres :)

The awd seems to cope pretty well so far but now I have LC it may be a problem thats of course once I have managed to fing the best settings. Im sure I will need dfferent rubber if I am going to do this half seriously

Mind you I do have a pair 888s in my garage just really need to find two more

Found a pic of sunday on my other forum

podpic.jpg

The awd seems to cope pretty well so far but now I have LC it may be a problem thats of course once I have managed to fing the best settings. Im sure I will need dfferent rubber if I am going to do this half seriously

Mind you I do have a pair 888s in my garage just really need to find two more

Found a pic of sunday on my other forum

podpic.jpg

didnt realise you were on about a volvo whats the spec on that to get them excellent times?

didnt realise you were on about a volvo whats the spec on that to get them excellent times?

A nissan engine :toung::toung::toung::toung:

And an excellent time to aim for would be around 12.43 not 13.43

Im sure OG will be along to put me right if thats too quick for when ( or more accurately IF ) if I ever nail it perfectly.

A large green estate does keep under the radar especially on the first run , mind you the scoob driver hasnt one either,

the first terminal was 108 so they were fine the second run.

A nissan engine :toung::toung::toung::toung:

And an excellent time to aim for would be around 12.43 not 13.43

Im sure OG will be along to put me right if thats too quick for when ( or more accurately IF ) if I ever nail it perfectly.

Give me the spec and I will let you know :)

Weight around 1680
has a nismo bodykit and rear spoiler which is supposed to be better than std aerodynamically (goes withou saying its still a brick compared to some).
Its certainly completely stable way above pod speeds

power 500 at the hubs (dyno not pub reading)
Engine is rb26 with cams etc
twin turbo 2860-5s give max tourque @ 4500 with a pretty flat touque curve
Cant find the dyno graphs but its on my project thread on my project thread -
rev limit 8300 which is safe
AWD with rear viscous LSD (skyline GTR)
adjustable bilstein suspension on softest setting on strip
Has launch control so I can pull away on boost before this was fitted awd could cope now it spins the wheels a bit although last sunday I was running std pressure (34) cos I forgot with goodyear F1s (probably going to fit 888s)

Previously ran 13.09 without launch control and tyres 24psi. Then it had a 32 box which was only single synco and crap. Now has later gearbox which is much better changing gera at peak revs.
stageasantapod-1-1.jpg

the slip for 13.098
Very unclear but details
et 13.098 @ 102mph 60' time 2.0 something
best launch but misssed 4th as at 1000' it was 11.02 and 106mph slower than terminal speed

Anything else OG

I reckon mid 12s is acheivable but not without a good launch and gear changes

Last edited:
Assuming 600bhp and 550lb/ft at the flywheel, I am getting 12.13 @ 121 :)

I notice that you are changing gears at max revs, not the best thing to do. If you can find a copy of the power graph (or point me towards your project thread) I will suggest a preferred gearchange RPM. Changing at 8300 RPM means that you are way past max torque at 4500. Changing gear at the optimum RPM will make a big difference and should see you into the 12s easily.

I can't see the benefit of running road tyres at a lower pressure than recommended. If the grip was better at a lower pressure, don't you think that would be the recommended pressure? :)

Running a road tyre at a lower pressure results in the tread becoming concave thereby reducing grip. The best way to find the ideal pressure is to do a run and then immediately measure the tyre temp at the centre and edges (on both or all driven tyres). Alter the pressures until you have the same temp at the edges as you have at the centre. Job done.

People reduce their tyre pressures because they see others dong it and assume that it must work. If anyone knows different please let me know. However, we are talking road tyres here, not racing or drag tyres.

Last edited:
A bit hazy but
stageadynorunnov09-1-1.jpg

Re revs
My explanation was poor. The engine happily revs to over 9000 but the rev limit is set at 8300 for the same reason you gave. Generally I plan to change at between 7500 and 8000
Its difficult to be precise as the revs go up so quickly in low gears but changing any lower certainly appears to slow the car to me.

Re tyre pressures
It was suggested by someone who races a skyline in the pro HKS series - the top event that day. He usually makes the top four in the main HKS event where the winners always run 9s
Apparently a prepared track makes a difference and the road pressure of 34 are to allow loads and cornering .
Lowering the pressures is just to prevent wheelspin off the line which it seemed to do.
I am always happy to hear listen to all suggestions as nobody ever knows everything

Am I reading the torque right? 1750lb/ft between 4 and 6000? That is a lot.

If so, you are changing gear way outside the torque band, although the bhp is still rising quickly. However, there is a difference between appearance and actual acceleration.

I really need a printout of this that I can show to my racing guru. He used to hold the world 0-100mph record in an RS200 so he knows a thing or two about changing gear :)

Last edited:
I really need a printout of this that I can show to my racing guru. He used to hold the world 0-100mph record in an RS200 so he knows a thing or two about changing gear :)

Really! :amazed: You do move in some exalted circles OG :)

Really! :amazed: You do move in some exalted circles OG :)

I am just lucky to be liiving in an area where a lot of ex-Boreham (Ford Motorsport's HQ since 1963, although it is now used by Essex police and the Essex flying abmbulance) workers still live and work. Graham Hatherway (RS200 record driver) modified my chassis and will be setting up the suspension. He told me on Tuesday that a friend owns an old tarmac airfield just east of Braintree that we can use for testing the car! This is a lot closer, and cheaper, than Bruntingthorpe and we will have the place to ourselves :)

Anything I need to know I just ask Graham or Geoff Page. If they don't know the answer, which is rare, they will know someone who does.

As in most walks of life it isn't what you know, it's who you know. These guys are full of experience and information and I am a very good listener.

I questioned the 1810 myself.

apparently it is before correction ??? Im not sure how maybe cos its at the hubs or to do with what gear its in (that a guess btw ) What i can remember is that it is the 488 figure for normal people

Oh and the diff ratio is wrong as mine has a 4.085 not 4.111

I chose the cams to give as wide a band as possible and it has been mapped accordingly .

Powwer drops after 7521rpm ( I think ) and that leaves it right in the torque band for next gear
Obviously the gear ratios will have some bearing on when one changes .

and I can easily get to braintree.....................