Santa Pod 01-10-2011

iancav6

Car
VX Cavalier 3.0V6
Took the Cav to Santa Pod yesterday in the best spec that it has ever been,did 12 runs by lunchtime with a best of 14.4 @97 and worst of 14.8 @92 so was really pleased with the consistency.60ft varied from 2.2 to 2.5. The 14.4 is only equal to my previous best there when the car was at a lesser state of tune, but its a different day and conditions(about 28c ambient).
Had a good race with a yellow LHD Seat Leon Cupra(i think it was a Polish car?) we crossed the line pretty much dead level.
Hopefully going back on the 15th Oct when I'm going to let daughter #1 have a drive.

pod01-10-2011004-1.jpg

Pretty good consistencey, which will allow you to verify any improvements due to new mods.

What does surprise me is that you were able toget in 12 runs on a YWYB day!

Nice result, the weather must have been really good that day, not perfect for a run though.

What mods have you done to your car and what power are you putting down?

OG,yes I was surprised to get that many in,getting there early(I was first in the queue,car #1) and packing the runs in before everyone turns up is best.I think the real serious racers let us amateurs clean the strip up a bit aswell before they bother to run.
That was including an hour and a half stop while the medics attended to someone who got stung by a wasp and went into shock,the ambulance had to come from Luton to ferry them to hospital!
I did 11 runs by about 11 am and them one more at 1pm ish, then watched for an hour.:)

Waynne,Yes it was a bit warm for ideal engine performance.My Canems ecu was registering 40deg C inlet air temp towards the last few runs despite having a "cold air feed" by the front bumper.I guess it was hoovering the hot air from the tarmac and combined that with some engine heat soak = loss of power.Ambient was around 28C.But saying that my best run was my 10th.Track didn't seem too grippy to me,you can tell when its going to be good as I can hear the tyres scrubbing on the rubber.

Spec of the Cav is;
3 litre Omega
Ported skimmed heads,ratio just under 11;1
Omega intake manifold
Hybrid Pipercross and K&N air filter under front bumper
6-2-1 homemade exhaust headers
Scorpion exhaust
Std F25 gearbox
Lowered front suspension
Koni dampers all round
Canems programmable ECU
A bit of weight removal in the car,down to 1160kgs for the strip.
Toyo R888 front tyres
Not sure on the power front,somewhere around 210-220 bhp maybe?

The bodywork totally standard so makes a great sleeper on the road and track as the lads in a Renault Megane sport and scooby estate discovered on Saturday.:bigsmile:

Last edited:
Nice one, sounds like you had one hell of a day! Be aware though that daughter #1 might put in a much better time than her old man especially if she is small and light :amuse:

Nice one, sounds like you had one hell of a day! Be aware though that daughter #1 might put in a much better time than her old man especially if she is small and light :amuse:

Yes had crossed my mind aswell,i'd never hear the end of it :embarrest:
It will be her first time there so I'm going to take her for a couple of runs with me driving to show her the lights ,etc then sit with her while she drives.

Yes had crossed my mind aswell,i'd never hear the end of it :embarrest:
It will be her first time there so I'm going to take her for a couple of runs with me driving to show her the lights ,etc then sit with her while she drives.

Marvellous stuff Ian, look forward to seeing the results; the truth mind you! No shame in having a lady put in a better time than you; we all know the real reason behind it and that's what counts :lol:

I think the real serious racers let us amateurs clean the strip up a bit aswell before they bother to run.

Actually the serious racers don't usually bother with the RWYBs, they go to the Test and Tune days. More expensive (£60) and only 4-6 a year, but car numbers are limited to 100. This allows a more relaxed day with no long waiting in line. Very few cars running over 15 secs. They are often held before big meets and the track is properly prepped so people competing at the following meet use them to set up their cars and practice so you get to see some good machinery rather than dozens of Corsas and Golfs :) RWYBs are full of boy racers and wannabees, IMO (present company excepted). Get you car sorted over the winter and try one next year, but don't tell everyone about them :)

Due to the track being better prepared at a T&T you will run better times.

Last edited:
Actually the serious racers don't usually bother with the RWYBs, they go to the Test and Tune days. More expensive (£60) and only 4-6 a year, but car numbers are limited to 100. This allows a more relaxed day with no long waiting in line. Very few cars running over 15 secs. They are often held before big meets and the track is properly prepped so people competing at the following meet use them to set up their cars and practice so you get to see some good machinery rather than dozens of Corsas and Golfs :) RWYBs are full of boy racers and wannabees, IMO (present company excepted). Get you car sorted over the winter and try one next year, but don't tell everyone about them :)

Due to the track being better prepared at a T&T you will run better times.

By serious race cars I mean;

a)cars that arrive on a trailer
b)have a big V8 under the bonnet
c)bolt on slicks that are wider than my car
d)don't get their latest performance mod from Halfords

(that is all in jest before anyone gets upset):)(and no offence to Halfords,they do a fine job if you are stuck on a Sunday afternoon);)

Saw this run an 8 sec

Removed Link - Sorry Ian, new members are not allowed to post up any URL links until they have made at least 10 posts. T9 man

Had considered a T&T but wasn't sure where the limit of "acceptable times" was?

Last edited:
Had considered a T&T but wasn't sure where the limit of "acceptable times" was?

There is no limit, if you are prepared to pay the premium you can run. There are 'slow' cars there, just not so many as at a RWYB. One thing that is missing is the choice of food. The last one we went to only had the Pod shop open.

Make sure to take a lightweight picnic then lol. That's great advice OG, might have to try one of those days myself rather than waiting behind slow stuff like 1.2 Corsa's (16v maaaaaayte) and Astra VXR's.

Make sure to take a lightweight picnic then lol. That's great advice OG, might have to try one of those days myself rather than waiting behind slow stuff like 1.2 Corsa's (16v maaaaaayte) and Astra VXR's.

747119_can-o-worms.gif

I've got your back MA, make a run for it buddy and I'll hold them off as best I can :lol:

You won't regret it.

If I ever finish the Elan one place you won't see it at is a RWYB!

Lol at T9, thought I'd sneak that in thar see if anyone noticed :D

Cheers OG, I seem to remember you mentioning it before but I'd totally forgotten.

There is no limit, if you are prepared to pay the premium you can run. There are 'slow' cars there, just not so many as at a RWYB. One thing that is missing is the choice of food. The last one we went to only had the Pod shop open.

Ok will work on the Cav over the winter and hope for 13s.
Last weekends picnic consisted of a pack of Quavers.

Ok will work on the Cav over the winter and hope for 13s.
Last weekends picnic consisted of a pack of Quavers.

13s won't be embarrassing. As long as they were low fat Quavers, they won't have hurt your power/weight ratio too much :)