RWD Conversion

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
I want to get 350bhp into my Civic, however as it is currently FWD therefore meaning I will lose a lot of this power as it won't be able to put this amount of power down. So what does everyone think to a RWD conversion? Is it possible and how would it be done?

Why not buy a traction control unit? I'm sure Racelogic do a decent one. Changing your car would require tons of work. First you'd have to turn your engine. Then find a gearbox to fit thats Rwd. Then you'd have to cut and custom fabricate a prop shaft tunnel. The you'd have to totally rebuild the rear assembly. The amount of mods you'd have to do and the amount of cash you'd put into it you'd be better off buying a Rwd in the first place mate. It would be a very very big job....

Change your car. If you want RWD, but a RWD car. Plenty of BMW 5 series cars about, go buy one with a 3.0 litre engine as a minimum and enjoy. Take it in automatic form and have a lovely lazy and fast drive.

540i can be had for under £5k - why not sieze the opportunity now?

You'd need to cut a tranmission tunnel through the car and getting round the exhaust and axles would be a real hassle. Just get some very wide and very soft rubber.

dunno about it costing the same as a skyline to make it RWD.

maby a grand or two.

I agree, a rear wheel civic would be novel, pretty unique, but Im not sure about how it would handle as its set up for FWD.

yea there is a stunning skyline gt-s on auto trader for 2800 89k loads of mods ect why not get some fat rubber and tc system

If I was to get a Skyline it would have to be the GTR. Wide tyres and some kind of traction control system is a thought, but 350bhp in a FWD car may cause problems, especially under hard acceleration. If I had it converted to RWD then I could get a lot more power down onto the tarmac.

If I was to get a Skyline it would have to be the GTR. Wide tyres and some kind of traction control system is a thought, but 350bhp in a FWD car may cause problems, especially under hard acceleration. If I had it converted to RWD then I could get a lot more power down onto the tarmac.

But for Rwd you would be spending £££££££'s. With the right setup you could easily get the power down in a Fwd car. You need a good setup and a good Tc Unit... It can be done mate..:D:D

But for Rwd you would be spending £££££££'s. With the right setup you could easily get the power down in a Fwd car. You need a good setup and a good Tc Unit... It can be done mate..:D:D

True, it will also hold traction better in poor conditions as a FWD. The plan was always to have over 300bhp. How can the torque steer issue be solved though?

IS torque steer not fixed with a limited slip diff? I always thought that was the diff's fault that oversteer happens. But like I say with the right setup you wouldn't be gettin any torque steer...

Yeah a limited slip diff can reduce the torque steer but as far as I'm aware it doesn't overcome it completely. Thanks for the advise mate...any other good advise?

I think all you need to do is make sure your get good quality parts when upgrading. And also do plenty of research and see if you can find what works with what best etc. If you want big Bhp then you will sacrifice some traction. But it can be done with alot of though an preperation. I read in a magazine about a Civic running 740Bhp and that was Fwd as well...

there was a mk2 golf in redline magazine it had like 450 or 500 bhp and was the fastest fwd drag car in the world on the strip it was stunning lol and fast

I'd put the power in your car mate without the conversion. It was a 2006 Max power and it was an Injen Technology Civic EG. But thats all the info I can find. I can't find the mag it was in...

prince theres also golfs Mk4 floating about with 500-600 bhp with Huge turbos on them so the torque steers bad but still controlable
but theres loads running around with 300-350 bhp as daily drivers, these are all fwd