Run Flat tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has anyone used or heard much about run flat tyres?

Do you think they are a good idea. When you get a "puncture" do they really work as well as they are supposed to or is the handling impaired?

Do they increase the road noise or alter the handling?

I'm guessing they are heavier than standard tyres.

Most of the cars that I drove when I sold cars were on run flats as standard. Gives them an excuse not to put a spare wheel in.

As for road noise, well in things like cushy beamers you are practically vacuum sealed so hearing anything with the windows up is a feat. I didn't notice excessive road noise.

As for punctures, you are advised not to go over something like 70mph after a blowout and you have so many miles (think it's about 300) before you need it changing, but you have the peace of mind knowing the tyre won't come off the rim.

I would have thought the handling would be improved or failing that at least equal to a high spec low profile tyre as the sidewalls are very stiff.

Other than that, I dunno :D

not really that dear. i did look at them when i last changed tyres to remove the need for the spare
but theres some complaints about the noise and the handling due to the firmness of the sidewalls.
speed is normally restricited to 50mph