Rover 45 Diesel Air Con Compressor Probs.

Jim Gardner

The magnetic clutch on the Air Con compressor doesn't drive when the switch is on, I was told it was pressure sensitive and the system needed re-charging, so had that done but still no drive. I have now had the system discharged so I can strip it down, but before I do I thought I would ask if anyone out there has had a similar problem, and solved it without spending an arm and a leg.

Hi Jim, the easiest and cheapest route would be to get a cheap replacement from a breakers yard and fit this. Keep the old one for spares and you'll be setup for the next time it breaks down.

Thanks Waynne, I was thinking along those lines myself but am a bit wary of buying from scrapyards However, to-day I took the old compressor of the car and put 12 volts to the clutch coil, there was a circuit but the clutch didn't work, no current draw only voltage. The negative return is via the body and the earth tag is steel and rusty so I cleaned it and Behold! 4 amps and the clutch snapped in a treat. ( It's difficult to do this test with it in situ, the connections are inaccessible).
Found a break in the circuit to the pressure sensitive switch, the wiring has been chafing against the body (repaired it).
Sat 17/ 05 just had it gassed and it's all working o.k. now.

Last edited:
What rookie operator recharged a system before checking basic system function?
No rookie operators were involved, the system was checked out with the correct equipment which, whilst it does an automatic check of the refrigerant circuit for leaks lube oil etc. it cannot check the electrics. and because of the connection to the engine managment system that can only be checked on diagnostic equipment usually at a cost I wasn't prepared to pay being a tight, decrepit old pensioner, and without being recharged with refrigerant even diagnostic equipment could only tell us it didn't work and we already knew that.