Rover 25 alarm system

Racer75

Tuner
Car
BMW 323i (e36)
My Rover's alarm is driving me nuts. You can't leave the car for 5 minutes without it going off. I tried removing the fuse but then I couldn't open the doors and thus the engine wouldn't start. I was going to revert to the old ways and cut the wire that powers the sounder, problem is I can't find it. I think it may be under the passenger side window wiper blade but I really can't afford to get it wrong. :(

Thanks

Adam

Have you tried the schoolboy error stuff first in trying to find out what is setting it off?

A lot of alarms with ultrasonic detectors inside the cabin, do not like open air vents as sometimes an inrush of air has been known to set these off, it is sometimes better to change these to volumetric ones.

Also dangling air freshners or other silly decorations in the car can set the sensors off by moving if the car has been moved or rocked by a strong breeze or wind, so this will then be picked up as movement by the alarm.

Also check the courtesy light in the cabin and the boot are actually switching off as failure to do so will set off the voltdrop trigger of the alarm. Also take a look at the bonnet switch for the alarm and make sure that it is operating properly and that the connections are not corroded.

And finally, is the alarm self powered ie. does it have a built in battery which still allows the alarm to sound should the main battery lead be cut? If the main battery has a problem cell then this too can fool the alarm into thinking that there is a voltdrop trigger and sound the alarm. Check the main alarm unit itself and see if it has a small adjustable screw under a rubber bung, this is sometimes the vibration trigger depending on the model and sometimes can be set too sensitive. If it is there then adjust the screw slowly in stages both clockwise and anticlockwise, turn on the alarm and rock the car or kick the tyres until it goes off and then readjust accordingly to reduce it's sensitivity.

I hope this helps, good luck buddy :)

If you took the car to the dealer would they be able to pick up on the lap top what is setting the alarm aff or is it a system completely on it's own T9?

There is nothing in the car such as airfresheners or anything like that. The car isn't used an awful lot so it may be a voltdrop problem but I need to sort it as my door is being continuously being rattled by angry neighbours. Apart from the obvious what repercussions are there to just cutting the sounder out of the car?

Check the battery fob mate... mine was dying and set the alarm off every time I locked it. I had to unlock, lock, unlock then lock. The alarm system does have its own separate power supply though... Also try checking all the doors for the locking lever, and make sure its not stuck closed. Apparently the boot gets stuck and its very common.

Hugo-

If you took the car to the dealer would they be able to pick up on the lap top what is setting the alarm aff or is it a system completely on it's own T9?

Rover doesn't exist any more! LOL

Taking to any garage should help diagnose the fault.

Last edited:

OP did not make that clear HB but the pointers I gave are rules of thumb type faultfinding as I used to fit car alarms, electric windows, central locking etc back in the day to supplement my students grant.