Rover 25 1.4 how to make it faster ?

Hull Rover

Car
rover 25 1.4
:)
Hi,
How can i make it faster ? with out changing the engine unit or car !!
Which are the best ways of making it faster & higher BHP ?
Cheers
Roger

Why do you say you don't want to change the engine? That's the cheapest and easiest way to be fair (with no engine number it's exactly the same externally...I'm not suggesting any wrongdoing of course)

Start off with the basics...filter, exhaust, manifold

After this cams, management, throttle bodies...

:D
Why do you say you don't want to change the engine? That's the cheapest and easiest way to be fair (with no engine number it's exactly the same externally...I'm not suggesting any wrongdoing of course)

Start off with the basics...filter, exhaust, manifold

After this cams, management, throttle bodies...

Cheers many thanks
The engine i have only has done 20,000 miles only
a 2002
& is in near mint condition.
Many thanks
Cheers
Rog

uprated head gasket
high flow intake filter
cams
FSE valve
exhaust manifld
sports cat / de-cat
exhaust
then a custom remap to take into account all the mods

you might if your lucky see 110-120 bhp for all that but a cheaper option would be to get the 1.8 vvc engine and drop it in 140 or 160 bhp for a lot less.

uprated head gasket
high flow intake filter
cams
FSE valve
exhaust manifld
sports cat / de-cat
exhaust
then a custom remap to take into account all the mods

you might if your lucky see 110-120 bhp for all that but a cheaper option would be to get the 1.8 vvc engine and drop it in 140 or 160 bhp for a lot less.

I would leave the headgasket until it actually goes. A fse is pretty pointless as the standard ecu is up to the job of modifying fuelling. Oh and standard ecus cannot be remapped (well a few can but try finding somone who is willing to do it and has all the gear!)

You are 100% that VVC is the way to go

I would leave the headgasket until it actually goes. A fse is pretty pointless as the standard ecu is up to the job of modifying fuelling. Oh and standard ecus cannot be remapped (well a few can but try finding somone who is willing to do it and has all the gear!)

You are 100% that VVC is the way to go
Cheers many thanks for the advice
thats very helpful
I will try that
Cheers
Rog

Cheers many thanks for the advice
thats very helpful
I will try that
Cheers
Rog
Also i have been told that taking the restrictor off the throttle intake& adjust the cable & this will open it to 90 degreess hads more power,
:D the engine is the same as the 1.4 zr
this is the cheapest first step to do.

how do you take the restrictor off the throttle intake & adjust the cable? can anybody tell me please? thanxs

Hi neil. Take off your airfilter and then get someone to press the accelerator down, you should see the intake flap open. How fully open does it go? Is there any slack in the cable?

Hi Waynne. the intake flap doesnt seem to open all that much really it opens to about a 45 degree angle, can it be opened up so the intake flap lies flat? There was no slack in the cable, Also i am thinking of fitting a fuel pressure regulator with a gauge on it, do you know anything about them? thanks

Last edited:
Hi Waynne. the intake flap doesnt seem to open all that much really it opens to about a 45 degree angle, can it be opened up so the intake flap lies flat? There was no slack in the cable, Also i am thinking of fitting a fuel pressure regulator with a gauge on it, do you know anything about them? thanks

Where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body there is a plastic stopper. You need to cut this off and the intake flap will open fully. An air filter and an exhaust with a de-cat should make a noticeable improvement as well.

Wouldnt bother with a FPR and gauge, pretty pointless. Money could be spend on much more worthwhile things :blink1:

Honestly, unless you have more money than sense (many do, myself included), don't bother. The easiest and cheapest thing you can do first is lose weight. This will benefit acceleration, braking and handling if the weight remains close to its original distribution.

If you must, turbonutter was bang on the money, and if you feel like getting more serious, see pgarners post. Well, apart from the FSE...

Honestly, unless you have more money than sense (many do, myself included), don't bother. The easiest and cheapest thing you can do first is lose weight. This will benefit acceleration, braking and handling if the weight remains close to its original distribution.

If you must, turbonutter was bang on the money, and if you feel like getting more serious, see pgarners post. Well, apart from the FSE...

I've had a Rover 214 and I cut the plzstic bit off of mine to give the go pedal that bit more but it didn't make that much difference. And exhaust and an airfilter will make it fell faster though. And they are quick off the line anyway if driven right.

The best thing to do is probably drop in a 1.8vvc engine. Either 143 or 160 bhp out of the box and only wiring needs sorting out (im sure i can get you in touch with people who could sort the loom)

With the list from pgarner you will probably be looking at 130bhp, but with a 52mm TB as well added on :)

yes it will fit but the ports don't quite line up on the head so you will probably see no power gain. The larger plenum size can help if you have lumpy cams.