rover 220 gti 1993 engine swap

trainwreck

Car
rover 220 gti "93
hi i need some advice i bought a rover 220 gti and had fun init now ans want to know whats the best thing to do to upgrade ie engine swap??turbo or supercharger? im new to this so you will have to bear with us lol cheers

hi ive not thought about tht tbh im new to all this so i need as much help and advice as possible and is it a straight swap of engines?

The turbo tomcat is definately the way to go. You'll need the stronger gearbox from a turbo and the front suspension will need to be uprated. From the Tomcat engine you can get even more power out of it with a few turbo/wastegate tweaks! :D

yeah pg1 gearbox is a dead cert, try get it steel caged as well, they have 2 different diffs in them type a and b (cant remember which was better)

just remember if tuning dont go for anything over 12-13psi as the psitons melt rather easy hence needing a forged job in there for bigger power

nice simple tuning get yield good results t28 off a pulsar or 220sx and fmic gives good gains

yeah pg1 gearbox is a dead cert, try get it steel caged as well, they have 2 different diffs in them type a and b (cant remember which was better)

just remember if tuning dont go for anything over 12-13psi as the psitons melt rather easy hence needing a forged job in there for bigger power

nice simple tuning get yield good results t28 off a pulsar or 220sx and fmic gives good gains

In the early distributor model the pistons didn't melt it was the head gasket that let loose.;)
It was the later wasted spark ignition engine that had chocolate pistons plus a stronger head gasket.:confused:
You'd want to source the engine from a 620ti as these come with a Torsen Lsd standard.
IIRC you can safely run the earlier engines at 13-14psi.

In the early distributor model the pistons didn't melt it was the head gasket that let loose.;)
It was the later wasted spark ignition engine that had chocolate pistons plus a stronger head gasket.:confused:
You'd want to source the engine from a 620ti as these come with a Torsen Lsd standard.
IIRC you can safely run the earlier engines at 13-14psi.

ah yeah didnt certain ones have mahle pistons in there ? if thats the case just uprate the head gasket and bolts on an earlier model :)

they are a rather capable engine i was seriously going get one of them in my old zr and go to town on it, full rebuild all gaskets pumps etc etc then go for about 280-300bhp. i know a lad who did the t28 and fmic along with an uprated downpipe/elbow and a set of piper 270s in there it went really well the 270s was a snip at £210 reprofile they really worked well with the t28

Wasn't the GTi a nasp T-series engine to start with and running a Torsen type B as standard in a PG1? So converting to the turbo version should be easy enough, probably running the same brake set up? As said the 620Ti, ZR160 and ZS180 share the same brake set-up.