rover 200vi 16v i need help in adding a turbo

flasakos

Car
rover200vi 1.8l 16v
i already have a kn filter and exhaust system with a racing cat and a stage1 program i get around 128hp but still want more and need help with choosing a turbo setup that will make a big difference without too many problems can someone help?

i prefer the mod instead of the engine swap is there a specific reason you prefer swapping the engine?
i live in greece and with the current tax laws if i change my engine for a bigger one i'll be paying taxes that are unbareable greece is a beautifull country for having a vacation but when you live there the government likes stealing all of your hard earned money

It similar over here as well!

Fitting a turbo to the 1.4 is pretty hard to do. As a Honda unit it has a pretty high compression ratio.

You might find that a supercharger is a better option, these are more linear in their power delivery and easier to map for.

The 1.8 engine is based on the 1.4 block, perhaps see if a head swap is viable or go for a rebore? (Techically this still counts as a larger engine though!)

If you want to look at how a 1.4 Turbo can be tuned, just take a look at the goold old Punto GT's. I know it's a different engine but it will give you an idea of how far you can take a 1400cc engine. IIRC and dont hold me to this and MA will likely have the right answer but i've not seen many 1.4 Turbo's past 190-200bhp max. The internals can't take super powers.

It similar over here as well!

Fitting a turbo to the 1.4 is pretty hard to do. As a Honda unit it has a pretty high compression ratio.

You might find that a supercharger is a better option, these are more linear in their power delivery and easier to map for.

The 1.8 engine is based on the 1.4 block, perhaps see if a head swap is viable or go for a rebore? (Techically this still counts as a larger engine though!)

IIRC Waynne the 1.4 is actually a Rover unit not Honda.

it is the rover motor not the honda its year is 99 and to answer about the mechanic that screwed up my first engine he claimed that he didn't do any work on the car what so ever i'd like to burn his shop to the ground but don't want to end up in prison
any way i've seen punto's turbo charged to 600 hp here in greece not that i agree with the mods don on a punto cause i don't see it as a car all i see is a coffin on 4 wheels any way i like the idea of the supercharger too but will it fit ?

well if its a rover vi shouldnt you be an earlier model of the 1.8vvc what is fount in the later zr160? if so your down on standard power as these have 143bhp standard. listen the easiest and most cost effective way of gaining power is to drop the t series engine in there and your best getting a 220 coupe donor car as this will have all the bits you require apart from just the engine.
when i owned my old mg zr i looked into turbo charging it and trust me its a very expensive route to take and your only going end up with around 200-220bhp so in my eyes its a no brainer to fit the t series which has 197bhp on tap as standard. also remember if fitting the t series is that around 12psi is max boost as the pistons aint the best but a good way of getting them up to around 225-235bhp is by adding a fmic, t28 turbo off a pulsar or 200sx s14 and 270 cams.

well if its a rover vi shouldnt you be an earlier model of the 1.8vvc what is fount in the later zr160? if so your down on standard power as these have 143bhp standard. listen the easiest and most cost effective way of gaining power is to drop the t series engine in there and your best getting a 220 coupe donor car as this will have all the bits you require apart from just the engine.
when i owned my old mg zr i looked into turbo charging it and trust me its a very expensive route to take and your only going end up with around 200-220bhp so in my eyes its a no brainer to fit the t series which has 197bhp on tap as standard. also remember if fitting the t series is that around 12psi is max boost as the pistons aint the best but a good way of getting them up to around 225-235bhp is by adding a fmic, t28 turbo off a pulsar or 200sx s14 and 270 cams.

The wasted spark model of the T16 has crap pistons but the older distributor model has Mahle pistons. The reason they blow so often in the older model is because of the cork head gasket. The newer model has a metal headgasket. You want the older model bottom end with the Mahle pistons and a newer model head with wasted spark ignition.
Also you'll see 225 bhp without changing the Turbo. ;)

guys i found a 1.8 l landrover engine and i've started by changing pistons with Wossner and piston rods Pauter and planing on charging it with a subaru impressa sti turbo the only problem i've come by is i can't find a program to run on the ecu if any one knows where to find one so i could map the injection so the engine doesn't run dry and burn out on the first ride i would apretiate the help or hint

If you want to look at how a 1.4 Turbo can be tuned, just take a look at the goold old Punto GT's. I know it's a different engine but it will give you an idea of how far you can take a 1400cc engine. IIRC and dont hold me to this and MA will likely have the right answer but i've not seen many 1.4 Turbo's past 190-200bhp max. The internals can't take super powers.

Internals and drivetrain are extremely strong and are good for 250bhp+. It's the head that's the weak point. Even the standard Fiat HG is good for 220bhp and over 20psi of boost.

A lot of boost starts to take its toll on the ring lands after about 100k, but the rods are sturdy indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: