Roof Chop on a Saab

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I have coilovers fitted to the car and it has lowered the stance considerably from the factory standard height. The car is to all intents and purposes as low as she will go, allowing for the spirited drive around a track to be still possible!

I was looking at some American custom car websites a short while ago for inspiration, and came across cars with their roofs chopped to improve the looks, lower their stance, call it what you will!

Popped outside to have a good look at the Beast to see what might be involved in having the roof chopped 60-70mm! ;)

There is quite a bit of headroom to play with, and apart from having the front and the rear screens specially cut down, and the custom fabrication of some interior trim, I cannot see any other obstacle that might prevent this from happening! Advice and wisdom needed here! have I missed anything or overlooked something? :blink:

This is why I asked the question as i'm not sure, thought to my self that the roof is welded to the center and A pillars so what's the difference in it being still welded but 60mm lower?

Thanks for your opinion mate :)

I would imagine cutting the roof and re-welding it would weaken it. I wouldn't do it as I'm taller than 5ft so I'd bash my head on the roof. I also think it would cost way too much to be plausible. Have seen a Chrysler 300C with it done though and it did look good!

Another way to improve the stance (from a cosmetic point of view) would be to add more negative camber.

The car had it's full geometry adjusted a couple of weeks ago now! If I had them readjust for more negative camber, what could I expect with regards to tyre wear (£1000 a set) and very high speed run stability?

The car had it's full geometry adjusted a couple of weeks ago now! If I had them readjust for more negative camber, what could I expect with regards to tyre wear (£1000 a set) and very high speed run stability?

You will sacrifice high speed stability in favour of better cornering. Tyre wear increases with more camber as well but how much depends on how aggressive.

Do you know what your camber readings are?

You will sacrifice high speed stability in favour of better cornering. Tyre wear increases with more camber as well but how much depends on how aggressive.

Do you know what your camber readings are?

The last ones are with my accountant still, but this one is from October last year with all the suspension mods fitted.

Attachments

• Camber readings Oct 2010.jpg
    Camber readings Oct 2010.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 6
From your title I thought you were going to turn her into a convertable!

Is anyone handy with photo-editing? Maybe we could get some pics done of your car with varying roof heights to give you an idea of how much to ruin... sorry I meant lower it by. :bigsmile:

the american cars you were looking at T9 were probably seperate body on a chassis jobbies so they can keep the integrity of the body while keeping all the strength in the chassis, I'm with Prince on this, keep the standard roof line, sorry mate:embarrest:

From your title I thought you were going to turn her into a convertable!

Is anyone handy with photo-editing? Maybe we could get some pics done of your car with varying roof heights to give you an idea of how much to ruin... sorry I meant lower it by. :bigsmile:

Hangs his head low and slow walks away in shame! :sad2:

the american cars you were looking at T9 were probably seperate body on a chassis jobbies so they can keep the integrity of the body while keeping all the strength in the chassis, I'm with Prince on this, keep the standard roof line, sorry mate:embarrest:

Much appreciated BFF! :)

Hangs his head low and slow walks away in shame! :sad2:

Aww now I feels bad & I was only jessing!
to_pick_ones_nose_eat.gif

In all fairness as long as the joints were strengthend when the roof is reattached I can't see there being a problem.
My only concern would be keeping the body aligned & straight when the roof is first cut off, I suspect that all four corners would want to splay outwards as the tension is removed from across the top of the car.

Give Wisbech Engineering a bell & see what they say, they have been going for years & have a very good rep within the custom scene.

http://www.wisbech-engineering.co.uk/

The other niggle would be getting the interior trim shrunk to match the lower roof line as well as new glass. But half the fun is getting there isn't it? :bigsmile:

Aww now I feels bad & I was only jessing!
to_pick_ones_nose_eat.gif

In all fairness as long as the joints were strengthend when the roof is reattached I can't see there being a problem.
My only concern would be keeping the body aligned & straight when the roof is first cut off, I suspect that all four corners would want to splay outwards as the tension is removed from across the top of the car.

Give Wisbech Engineering a bell & see what they say, they have been going for years & have a very good rep within the custom scene.

http://www.wisbech-engineering.co.uk/

The other niggle would be getting the interior trim shrunk to match the lower roof line as well as new glass. But half the fun is getting there isn't it? :bigsmile:

Have said my fond farewells to my lady! have filled the petrol tank, and now I seek a nearby cliff to dive off into the rocks below to end it all!! :sad2: Tell my mother that I love her dearly! and that it was me and not my little brother who broke her favorite vase with the football in the living room back in 1972! and this was all down to that "Loz" on Torque Cars! :lol:

I'v just finished a roof chop on an old daimler, not for the faint hearted, you would have to rake the screen back or lengthen and widen the roof to make it fit.

I'v just finished a roof chop on an old daimler, not for the faint hearted, you would have to rake the screen back or lengthen and widen the roof to make it fit.

Some goodnews at last! cheers Claymore! ;) just need to find a competent bodyshop to take this on :confused:

Have said my fond farewells to my lady! have filled the petrol tank, and now I seek a nearby cliff to dive off into the rocks below to end it all!! :sad2: Tell my mother that I love her dearly! and that it was me and not my little brother who broke her favorite vase with the football in the living room back in 1972! and this was all down to that "Loz" on Torque Cars! :lol:

Oh well if you've made your mind up, but before you depart let me swap cars with you. There's no sense smashing that lovely Saab of yours on the rocks when you can do the same job in £1400 MG.
ras.gif
:lol:

Last edited:
Many thanks for the photos Claymore, crikey! :amazed: had no idea so much work would be involved in this, it was an eye opener, cheers.

Oh well if you've made your mind up, but before you depart let me swap cars with you. There's no sense smashing that lovely Saab of yours on the rocks when you can do the same job in £1400 MG.
ras.gif
:lol:

:lol: Nearly fell of my chair laughing! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
is the idea being put into action T9? or is it still bubbling away in there?:lol:

Its still bubbling away BFF! :bigsmile:
So far I have done a lot of things to the Beast that I have been advised not too do, and they have pretty much all worked! Still wondering if this is a step too far or to just say "what the hell" and go for it! ;)

i reckon it would look awesome but the work involved and could you stand to see your beast in that state? (you could just stay away from the workshop if that were the case :lol:)

i reckon it would look awesome but the work involved and could you stand to see your beast in that state? (you could just stay away from the workshop if that were the case :lol:)

I worry over that silly car all the time! :embarrest: I think i'm well overdue another checkup from the neckup :bigsmile:

Have you any idea how that's done? and does it replace the whole roof panel? i've often wondered that actually.

Think BMW E92 M3.

Basically a carbon fibre roof would be stronger and lighter than a normal one, but A LOT more expensive. In theory you could use a mould of the roof and then replace the original roof with the carbon fibre one. I think the process is much the same as a roof chop but you wouldn't actually cut into the pillars.

I had an idea for this actually. You say money is no issue so think about this...

Replace the roof with a carbon fibre roof.

Sounds ok Prince, but the idea behind the roof chop is to lower the cars overall height, not really bothered about saving any excess weight, unless I have miss understood you off course! ;)

Last edited:
Sounds ok Prince, but the idea behind the roof chop is to lower the cars overall height, not really bothered about saving any excess weight, unless I have missed understood you off course! ;)

Alternatively replace the centre with carbon fibre whilst it's having the chop done.

This actually sound rather good, I've never heard of it being done to a Saab before.
I do like the look of those Saabs though and taking the roof off may spoil it's lines.

It's hard to visualise really, like someone suggested maybe some photo shopping on a picture might be required before cutting it up.

Also a body shop would probably take some of the interior out and weld some bracing on the sections below where there are going to be cut so it keep everything in shape while the roof is off.

I have seen a guy with a 205 pug before who cut his roof off and replaced it (no chopped it just a refit job) with another one just because he didn't want a sun roof!

If done properly it shouldn't compromise chassis regidity.

This actually sound rather good, I've never heard of it being done to a Saab before.
I do like the look of those Saabs though and taking the roof off may spoil it's lines.

It's hard to visualise really, like someone suggested maybe some photo shopping on a picture might be required before cutting it up.

Also a body shop would probably take some of the interior out and weld some bracing on the sections below where there are going to be cut so it keep everything in shape while the roof is off.

I have seen a guy with a 205 pug before who cut his roof off and replaced it (no chopped it just a refit job) with another one just because he didn't want a sun roof!

If done properly it shouldn't compromise chassis regidity.

Cheers Jarrus, when my car is stood alongside other Saabs, only then do you appreciate just how low it already is! But another couple of inches would be marvellous! said the actress to the bishop! :bigsmile:

Will do some more research before I make a final decision, and off course bounce my ideas off the TC massive! :bigsmile:

Cheers Jarrus, when my car is stood alongside other Saabs, only then do you appreciate just how low it already is! But another couple of inches would be marvellous! said the actress to the bishop! :bigsmile:

Will do some more research before I make a final decision, and off course bounce my ideas off the TC massive! :bigsmile:

Another factor to consider is its 5dr so would you need to go down the suicide door route to pull it off?
All the yank 5dr's i've seen have had suicide doors;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back