Rolls-Royce FB60 engine question

I have a Vanden Plas Princess R with the FB60 engine. Due to overheating problems, I removed the water pump to check its function and found it OK. However, lots of calcified debris at the front of the engine and when I removed the two inspection covers on the off-side of the block, I found Brighton beach in there! Cleared all that, but a question remains: what I think is called the volute housing has a bore (hole) of about 1/8" running through it and this continues into the engine block. Both were completely filled with calcification. I cleared this but does anyone know where the bore in the engine block goes to? When flushing through, I expected water to come out of this at the front of the engine, but nothing. As far as I can feel with a piece of wire, the hole just terminates in the block, but surely this can't be. Any help would be rather welcome!

Welcome to the site. Sorry I haven't got a clue? Never really got to play around with a rolls Royce engine myself. OK so I'm just a bit jealous!

Yes, it's the straight six thing, but I don't know about the shared ports. I guess that's something that I haven't needed to worry about ...

I'm no expert either, but I think the term is siamesed - where adjacent cylinders share inlet / exhaust ports. Obviously separate valves.